Advanced Standing

Advanced standing allows students to gain retroactive, tuition-free credit!What is Advanced Standing?

Hoping to attend Madison College (or any other Wisconsin technical college) after high school? Advanced standing allows a student to gain tuition-free credit from past high school courses. In order to receive credit, the student must complete the course to specific conditions (i.e., grades, attendance requirements, etc.) AND enroll in the technical college within 27 months of graduation. There must be a course agreement on file with both Madison College and your high school for your Advanced Standing class in order to receive credits.

It is the student's responsibility to initiate the advanced standing process by presenting documentation related to the course. This may include course work, syllabus, exams, or other coursework pertaining to the class. Advanced standing agreements are transferable to all the schools within the Wisconsin Technical College System, but not necessarily with University of Wisconsin colleges.

Am I eligible for Advanced Standing?

Students eligible for "credit for prior learning" credits include students who have taken an advanced standing course at their high school and received a minimum grade of B in the class (C for a dual credit class). In order to gain the college credit, the student must enroll in the technical college within 27 months of graduating from high school.

What classes are available to me?

Not all high schools or school districts offer the same classes. High School students interested in this option should speak to their guidance counselor for more information.

What paperwork is required?

  • Your high school transcript
  • Appropriate documentation of high school course completion which meets the conditions stated in the articulation agreement (this may include a course syllabus, handouts, exams or coursework)

What steps should I follow?

  1. Talk to your high school counselor and state your interest in earning early college credit and learn what classes are available for you to take at your high school. (Participating high school list)
  2. Take the course and earn a B or above. Hang on to all course documents after the class is over.
  3. Graduate from high school and attend a Wisconsin Technical College within 27 months of graduation.
  4. Talk to your program academic adviser or instructor to determine if Advanced Standing credits will be granted.


For more information or if you have any questions, please contact D'Ann Zickert at (608) 243-4650.