Conflict Management Procedures

Madison College Conflict Management Policies and Procedures

Student Conflicts, Concerns or Complaints

A student will use the following procedures to address conflicts, such as non-academic issues and complaints, academic disagreements (except academic misconduct and final grade dispute), and interpersonal conflicts.

The conflict for a student may involve a Madison Area Technical College faculty/staff member, administrator, another student, or an issue.

  1. If you are a student who has a problem with another student, a faculty/staff member or college policy, you need to initially discuss the problem with one of the counselors through Conflict Management Services. Students may access Conflict Management Services (CMS) by calling (608) 246-6076, by coming to the Student Development Center, or by contacting the regional campus manager.

  2. CMS staff member will counsel you about options available to address the conflict informally, including speaking directly to the person(s) with whom you have a concern, talking to the appropriate administrator, or participating in mediation, if appropriate to the situation. Mediation is an informal process facilitated by a neutral third party and is designed to achieve a mutually acceptable resolution between the parties involved. It is used only if the appropriate parties agree to participate. Mediation is private and expedient.
  3. If mediation or other informal attempts to resolve the matter fail, CMS staff may refer you to the appropriate administrator to discuss your situation.
  4. The administrator may make additional attempts to resolve the matter informally with you and the person(s) with whom you have a concern.
  5. If informal attempts to resolve the matter fail at the administrative level, then you may prepare a formal, written complaint.
    1. The administrator will give a copy of your complaint to the person(s) in question in a timely fashion so that they may respond to the complaint.
    2. The appropriate administrator will investigate the complaint, as necessary, before determining the outcome between the conflicting parties.
    3. The decision of the administrator will be communicated to the parties in a timely fashion.

Faculty/staff may also use the procedures above to address student-related conflicts. They may also opt to use the Student Code of Conduct, Classroom Disruptions, or Harassment/Discrimination procedures, if more appropriate to the situation.