Decide when to Transfer

An associate's degree is not required to transfer. Therefore, you should use your coursework plan to consider whether completing the associate's degree is appropriate. Advisors in the Academic Advising Services office can assist you. Advisors at your transfer college are also a good resource.

You might consider transferring AFTER earning an associate’s degree if:

  1. The college you plan to transfer to has an articulation agreement with Madison College. Some of these colleges include Carroll College, Edgewood, UW-LaCrosse, UW-Platteville, UW-River Falls, UW-Stout, and UW-Whitewater.
  2. There is a good chance you might want to take a break before completing your bachelor’s degree.
  3. Obtaining an associate's degree is a personal goal.
  4. Your employer offers an increase in salary once you have earned an associate’s degree.

 You might consider transferring BEFORE earning an associate’s degree if:

  1. When charting your coursework, you realize you need to transfer sooner to graduate on your timeline.
  2. You prefer to transfer to a 4-year college as soon as possible.
  3. Obtaining an associate's degree is not a personal goal.