When you enroll in classes, a commitment is made to participate and attend. If you change your mind, the classes dropped are subject to the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) Refund Policy. If you drop your classes within the refund period, you will receive the appropriate refund as determined by the WTCS Refund Policy and would not qualify for an additional refund.
If an unexpected situation beyond your control arises, you should work with your instructor(s) to see if arrangements can be made to complete class work. Talk to your instructors to see if you qualify for an Incomplete (students typically qualify around 75% of course completion).
If you still find it necessary to drop your classes after the refund period but do not yet qualify for an Incomplete, you may apply for an Extenuating Circumstance to request a partial refund.
A qualifying Extenuating Circumstance will be one of the following:
- The death of an immediate family member.
- A medical emergency for you or your dependent.
- An unscheduled Guard/Reserve obligation that required an extended absence.
The following are not grounds for an Extenuating Circumstance:
- Past due account balance
- Failure to drop classes
- Classes that have been graded
- Non-attendance and/or poor academic progress
- Situations that are academic in nature: If the situation is related to coursework and/or instruction, please refer to Student Concerns and Complaints.
- Failure to receive an invoice
- Inability to pay/job loss
- Transportation issues
An Extenuating Circumstance Application must be submitted by the student before the following deadlines, or the student forfeits the right to apply. For an Extenuating Circumstance that occurred in the:
- Fall: February 15
- Spring: July 31
- Interim or Summer: September 30
Before you apply:
- If you have already been granted an Extenuating Circumstance, you are not eligible to submit another request.
- Past due tuition will block course registration. Tuition must be paid in order to register for future classes while the Extenuating Circumstance is reviewed.
- Students who were not academically engaged prior to their Extenuating Circumstance are not eligible to apply for a partial tuition refund.
How to apply:
- Complete the Extenuating Circumstance Packet (PDF, 910 KB) and Medical Documentation Form (PDF, 43KB) if applicable.
- Note: For best results, open PDF's in Internet Explorer or save the PDF and open in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Print and submit per the instructions on the forms. If you have questions, call the Enrollment Center at (608) 246-6210.
Your success is important to us. Counseling Services offers a range of professional support for both personal and academic needs. Individual and/or group meetings are available. Call (608) 246-6076 to schedule an appointment.