Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is eligible to pursue a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) or Certificate of General Educational Development (GED) in Wisconsin?

A: A person must be a Wisconsin resident, or have lived in the state for at least 10 days, or be a migrant worker or the child of a migrant worker.

Q: Is there an age requirement for earning a GED or HSED?

A: Yes, a person must be at least 18 1/2 years old or the class with which they entered 9th grade must have graduated from high school in order to obtain a GED or HSED.

Q: What is the difference between a GED and an HSED?

A: The HSED has additional requirements: health, civic literacy, employability skills and career awareness. HSED candidates who are 55 years of age or older are exempted from the employability skills and career awareness requirements. While the GED certificate by itself can help show that you have reached a certain level of education, please keep in mind that it is less than an HSED. Candidates who have earned a GED certificate may complete the additional requirements and obtain the HSED. Additional information here

Q: Are accommodations available to candidates with a disability who take the GED or HSED tests?

A: Yes, a range of accommodations are available based on the needs of candidates with disabilities. The need must be fully documented by a qualified and competent professional. Accommodations include, but are not limited to:

  • Extra time
  • Private room
  • Frequent breaks
  • Interpreter
  • Scribe
  • Calculator

More information related to testing can be found at Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.