- Always discuss course difficulties with your instructor first. Tutoring is a secondary resource.
- Tutoring services are free to currently registered students.
- Peer tutors have earned a grade of B or better in the course they tutor for.
- Students may receive tutoring for any currently active, credit-level Madison College course. (no incompletes from a previous semester, no tutoring prior to the start date of the class).
- Immediate service can be provided in the walk-in Centers at Truax, Downtown, Fort Atkinson, Reedsburg and Watertown.
- 1-1 tutoring is limited to 2 hours per week and is offered to only those students who meet the criteria for 1-1 tutoring. No such limit exists for walk-in or small group tutoring.
Tips for success when using a walk-in Center:
- If you are new to the Centers or have a particular need, please ask for assistance at our welcome desk. They are there to help you.
- If you arrive and are hoping to work with a particular tutor, let them know. Please be polite and patient as our tutors have to find a balance to serve many students effectively. Remember, there are no appointments for general walk-in tutoring.
- Review the Center schedule carefully to find the tutors who can help with your class.
- Identify one or two tutors whose scheduled hours match your availability.
- Visit with that tutor, or tutors, consistently to maximize the student/peer tutor collaboration. When your tutor is not available, someone else may be able to assist you.
- Visit the Center early in the day or later in the afternoon, as these are usually non-peak times
Tips for success when meeting a tutor 1-1:
- 1-1 tutoring is limited and certain criteria must be met to qualify.
- 1-1 tutoring MUST occur on-campus.
- Prepare for the session. Read all assignments/notes, attempt problems, write down questions.
- Bring all books, notes, handouts, course syllabus and any necessary materials or supplies.
- Expect to do your own work. Tutors guide, explain, and support, but the work is yours.
- Tutors do not assist with take-home exams or quizzes.
- Be on time for 1-1 appointments. Tutors will only wait for 30 minutes before reporting a no-show.
- Two no-shows in a term will revoke your access to 1-1 tutoring for the remainder of the term.
- Tutors and students are expected to follow the Madison College Code of Conduct when tutoring. Any violation may result in suspension of tutoring services and/or further investigation.
Main Center Welcome Desk: (608) 246-6125
Peer Tutor Coordinator:(608) 246-6731
Toll Free:(800) 322-6282
Fax: (608) 243-4244