Madison College has embarked on an ambitious plan to create highly interactive 21st Century learning environments across the college. Scores of faculty and staff have been involved in the research that has led us to creating active learning classrooms at some Madison College campuses. The spaces feature the merging of group dynamics, classroom furniture design, and technology that expands the possibilities for learning.
• Student collaboration- each student is part of a small group or team
• Information can be shared between teams and tables for comparative purposes
• Facilitates peer teaching
• Students are able to showcase their work; share with others and post to a larger community
• Instructors can easily monitor student progress and guide inquiry
• Outside experts can join the classroom experience through advanced
technologies and engage with the students
• Emulates the team-based approach commonly found in today’s high-tech workplaces.
Teaching in an Active Learning Classroom may be a very different experience from what faculty are used to.