How health care reform impacts Madison College employees:
- If you are a full-time employee enrolled in Madison College’s health insurance plan, no action is required – your coverage already meets the "minimum value standard."
- If you are a part-time employee, you may shop for coverage on the new Federal Health Insurance Marketplace. You may be asked for some information about Madison College and the Employer Identification Number (EIN) (Madison College's EIN can be found on your W-2)
Here is the Notice of Federal Health Insurance Marketplace that has been shared with all Madison College employees since September of 2013.
The Affordable Care Act, also known as Health Care Reform, has created new options for purchasing health insurance coverage through a Federal Health Insurance Marketplace. This Marketplace was formerly called an “exchange”. Beginning October 1, 2013, consumers have been able to shop for health insurance coverage online through www.HealthCare.gov.
If you purchase coverage through the Marketplace, you may be eligible for a federal subsidy that lowers your monthly premiums or reduces your cost sharing. However, to receive these federal savings, you cannot already be eligible for health insurance coverage through Madison College or other group coverage that is considered “valuable” and “affordable”. The availability of coverage through the Marketplace does not affect your eligibility for coverage through Madison College’s health insurance plan. You are not required to purchase insurance coverage through the Marketplace.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- I’m already enrolled in a Madison College health insurance plan; can I keep my current plan?
Yes, the existing health insurance benefits are not changing due to the Marketplace. No action is required.
- Will part-time employees now be eligible for Madison College health insurance benefits?
No, only full-time employees are eligible for Madison College health insurance benefits. Part-time employees may shop for health insurance coverage online through the Marketplace at HealthCare.gov.
- When is the open enrollment period for the Marketplace?
Open enrollment runs from November 15 to February 15. However, if you qualify for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), you may apply for these at any time. There are also special enrollment periods for those who have a qualifying event.
- Where can I find out about federal subsidies and discounts?
Visit HealthCare.gov/get-answers for more information.
- I still have questions - how can I get help?
- Contact a HealthCare.gov representative at (800) 318-2596
or chat online at HealthCare.gov/contact-us
- Email Madison College Human Resources at HealthCareReform@madisoncollege.edu