How will health care reform impact Madison College employees?
- If you are a full-time employee enrolled in Madison College’s health insurance plan, no action is required – this notice is for informational purposes only.
- If you are a part-time employee, you may shop for coverage on the new Federal Health Insurance Marketplace. You may be asked for some information about Madison College (PDF, 432KB), and the Employer Identification Number (EIN) (Madison College's EIN can be found on your W-2)
We sent Notice of Federal Health Insurance Marketplace (PDF, 432KB) to all Madison College employees in September of 2013.
Here is a short video that explains health care reform in simple terms:
"The YouToons Get Ready for Obamacare" (6:53)
by the Kaiser Family Foundation
Watch GHC's Health Care Reform Seminar
Health Care Reform: What it Means to You
Presented by the GHC Better Together Project
Date Recorded: October 23, 2013
The Affordable Care Act, also known as Health Care Reform, has created new options for purchasing health insurance coverage through a Federal Health Insurance Marketplace. This Marketplace was formerly called an “exchange”. Beginning October 1, 2013, you will be able to shop for health insurance coverage online through www.HealthCare.gov. Coverage can start as early as January 1, 2014.
If you purchase coverage through the Marketplace, you may be eligible for a federal subsidy that lowers your monthly premiums or reduces your cost sharing. However, to receive these federal savings, you cannot already be eligible for health insurance coverage through Madison College or other group coverage that is considered “valuable” and “affordable”. The availability of coverage through the Marketplace does not affect your eligibility for coverage through Madison College’s health insurance plan. You are not required to purchase insurance coverage through the Marketplace.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- I’m already enrolled in a Madison College health insurance plan; can I keep my current plan?
Yes, the existing health insurance benefits are not changing due to the Marketplace. No action is required.
- Will part-time employees now be eligible for Madison College health insurance benefits?
No, only full-time employees are eligible for Madison College health insurance benefits. Part-time employees may shop for health insurance coverage online through the Marketplace at HealthCare.gov.
- When is the open enrollment period for the Marketplace?
Open enrollment runs from October 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014. However, if you qualify for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), you may apply for these at any time.
- Where can I find out about federal subsidies and discounts?
Visit HealthCare.gov/all-topics for more information.
- I still have questions - how can I get help?
- Contact a HealthCare.gov representative at (800) 318-2596
or chat online at HealthCare.gov/contact-us
- Call GHC’s Health Care Reform Info Line at (608) 442-7290
or visit GHCBetterTogether.com
- Email Madison College Human Resources at HealthCareReform@madisoncollege.edu