Attendance is Mandatory:
All new F-1 visa holding international students must attend International Orientation in order to fulfill the F-1 visa requirement of reporting to the educational institution. International Orientation is typically held approximately two weeks before the first day of the semester. The exact dates of International Orientation will be provided in your admission letter.
Upcoming International Orientation:
- Summer Admits: An abbreviated orientation will be held on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 from 1:30-4:30pm in Room D1651 Truax for students admitted to begin during the summer. Summer admits are encouraged to participate in the Fall international orientation experience, as described in detail below.
- Fall Admits: August 19 & 20, 2015. All new international students must attend BOTH days:
- Day 1: Wednesday, August 19, 9:00am-4:00pm, Room D2610 Truax. A break for lunch on your own will be provided.
- Day 2: Thursday, August 20, 9am-2:00pm, Room D2610 Truax. The Welcome Reception starting at approximately 12:30pm will include appetizers and beverages and will be in the Gourmet Dining Room (Room B1210).
If you will be arriving from abroad, please arrive at least one full day before the first day of International Orientation to allow for any unexpected travel delays and to adjust to the time differences and fatigue caused by travel and jet-lag.
A $50 orientation fee will be charged upon admission. An additional $50 will be charged to any student who does not attend orientation without prior approval from the Center for International Education.
What to Expect:
International Orientation for Fall and Spring semesters takes place over the course of two days. Attendance is required on BOTH days, so plan to arrive promptly and stay for the entire program each day. The topics covered during International Orientation include, but are not limited to:
- How to maintain legal F-1 visa status
- How to be successful in a U.S. classroom
- How to get involved in activities on campus
- Aspects of U.S. culture and cultural adjustment
- Campus resources such as tutoring, academic advising, cafeteria options, the bookstore, etc.
- Class registration assistance from academic advisors
- How to use the required F-1 student group health insurance plan
International Student Welcome Reception:
You are strongly encouraged to attend the International Welcome Reception, which immediately follows the second day of the international orientation program. In addition to refreshments and prizes, you will be greeted by current students, faculty, staff, and administrators of the college who are attending the Welcome Social to meet you. This is a great opportunity to begin getting to know other people on campus.
Additional Orientation Events for All Students:
In addition to International Orientation, you are strongly encouraged to participate in both of the following new student events.
- Advising & Registration
At an Advising and Registration session you will meet with your academic advisors, plan your academic career, receive personalized assistance with enrolling in classes, and begin to meet students and instructors in your program of study. For more information and to register to attend a session, visit the Advising & Registration page.
- Wolfpack Welcome
This event will be held shortly before the semester begins. At WolfPack Welcome, new students will be able to learn about the college and how to access free services such as tutoring, the library, how to meet with your program faculty for final preparations, and to meet other staff members who are available to assist you during your program at Madison College. Register to attend WolfPack Welcome!