The collective action of the Madison College Student Senate and of the Madison College District Board, during the Fall of 2013, created an opportunity for a student of Madison College to serve as a student representative to the Madison Area Technical College District Board.
The student is a "non-voting member" representative, because Wisconsin State Statute 38.108 defines District Board "voting membership" as being "appointed by a committee comprised of 12 county board chairs from the counties which make up the Madison Area Technical College District."
The Student Representative to the District Board will be elected by the student body. The first Non-Voting Student Representative will be elected by students in May 2014 and will take his or her seat with the Madison Area Technical College Board on July 1, 2014.
The Student District Board Representative will serve a one-year term. A student may run for re-election, as long as he or she meets the requirements to run.
Just as the appointed and voting members of the District Board, the Student Representative to the District Board will serve without salary or per diem. Actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of duties are reimbursed.
1. The Student Representative to the District Board represents a student voice on the Board, while the Student Body President and Student Senate represent the entire student body.
2. Attend Board of Trustees meetings participating in business meetings on the second Wednesday of each month, beginning at 5:30 p.m.
3. Attend Board of Trustees workshops and retreats as appropriate.
4. Attend College functions (e.g.:Graduation Ceremony) like other District Board members, as available.
5. Express opinions and preferences on every vote taken during the regularly scheduled business meetings.
6. Report to the Student Senate and Student Activities Board on a monthly basis (in writing and/or in person).
7. Responsible for understanding all District Board basic responsibilities and roles.
The eligibility requirements to run for the Student District Board Representative seat are as follows:
The student must:
1. Be enrolled in and complete a minimum of 6 credits in a Degree-Credit Program at Madison College (at the time of his / her election and throughout the one-year term). Summer term enrollment not necessary;
2. Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.50 (at the time of his / her election and throughout the one-year term);
3. Reside within the Madison Area Technical College District (at the time of his / her election and throughout the one-year term);
4. Be a student in good standing; (no disciplinary or academic sanctions have been placed against them and no overdue financial obligations to the College).
5. Not hold an elected position as a Senator, nor as an Officer of the Madison College Senate, during the term seated as the Student District Board member. (Student may be a Senator or Officer during the time of application, campaign, and election.)
6. Be available to serve as the Student Representative to the District Board for a full-term from July 1 through June 30, participating in business meetings on the second Wednesday of each month, beginning at 5:30 PM;
7. Submit this properly completed application by April 28, 2014 and include two references from current college staff and/or faculty who can attest to his/her ability to serve in this role.