Printer-friendly, all-inclusive Nursing Assistant Registration Requirement Instructions (PDF, 93 KB)
1. Create a Madison College Student Account and Email Address
If you have not attended Madison College in the past, you will need to create a new student account.
After creating your student account, activate your myMadisonCollege login; this gives you access to your Madison College email, Student Center, and Blackboard accounts.
Step-by-step directions for both of these steps.
If you need assistance with this step, please call our Enrollment Center at (608)246-6210.
2. English Reading Comprehension Requirement
This requirement can be met by one of the following options:
· Assessment Testing (scores for one of the following, completed within the last two years)
o COMPASS – Reading 75
o ASSET – Reading 39
o ACT – Reading 16
· College-level English course with a grade of C or better
o If you completed your English course at another college, official transcripts must be sent to the Madison College Enrollment Center, 1701 Wright Street, Madison, WI 53704. Please note: it is your responsibility to verify that the Enrollment Center has received your English test scores or transcripts, prior to attempting registration.
Questions about how to submit your transcripts or scores? Please contact our Enrollment Center at (608)246-6210.
If you have achieved a COMPASS Reading score below 74, or have attempted but not successfully completed a Nursing Assistant course in the past, you may be eligible to participate in a Nursing Assistant support class. Or if you are requiring ESL support, please contact the School of Academic Advancement at (608) 258-2378.
3. Background Check and Health Screening
Prior to enrolling in a Nursing Assistant class, you must complete a background check and submit background and health screening information via the Certified Background company. All pieces must be completed in full and approved prior to registration; no exceptions will be made.
Go to CertifiedBackground.com to order and pay for your background check and health screening document manager. The package code for Madison College is MJ17; the cost is $68*. View the CertifiedBackground.com Account Creation Tutorial (PDF 1615KB). *Subject to change.
- Print and complete Background Information Disclosure (BID) Form; you do not need to purchase the $12 ID card that is offered. If you are concerned about the potential results of your background check, review this Background Check Information. If you still have concerns, contact the Nursing Assistant Program Director prior to activating your CertifiedBackground account. Questions? Contact the School of Health Education Office at email@example.com or (608)246.6065.
- Scan and upload completed BID Form to your CertifiedBackground account. You may also fax the form to CertifiedBackground; for assistance, please call 1-888-914-7297.
- Print and fill out student portion of the Health Screening Form;
- Read Immunization Requirement Details.
- Schedule an appointment at your health care clinic to have your immunizations reviewed. You do not need a full physical exam but you do need a health care provider to complete the form. Note: vaccines or titers (blood draws) may be required. Tuberculosis (TB) testing may take up to four visits over a period of a few weeks. Resource: GHC Madison College Community Clinic; (608)441-3220; Truax Campus-Health Education Building-1705 Hoffman St, Madison, WI 53704.
- Scan and upload completed Health Screening Form and all supplemental documentation/lab reports to your CertifiedBackground account. For assistance with scanning and uploading your documents, please visit any campus library; Truax Campus Library (608)246.6640.
- After uploading required the required documents and records, check your CertifiedProfile account for any 'to do' messages and to verify if your documents have been approved. Questions on the status of your documents? Please contact CertifiedBackground at 1-888-914-7297 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
After completing the above steps, you will receive an email in your Madison College student email account notifying you are approved to register.
If you are receiving a rejection for your Influenza immunization, please contact the School of Health Education at (608)246.6065.
For step-by-step directions on how to search and add a class through your Student Center, click here.
Additional Important Information:
Health/accident insurance is required; if you do not have health insurance, you may purchase accident insurance here. The accident insurance is $13 for the semester and will be added to your tuition balance.
- Purchase your textbook and Nursing Assistant Supply Kit from the bookstore or regional campus front office no later than the first day of class.
- Solid color scrubs and white impermeable shoes are required for lab and clinical portions of the course.
- Approximate Total Cost: $500-900; a breakdown of this total is available in the Checklist below.
- Log into the Blackboard course site about three days before the first day of class to get familiar with the site.
- If you decide to drop a class, you must drop at least the day before class beings to receive a full refund.
- Fees paid to Certified Background/Certified Profile are good for one year.
- Students in a Nursing Assistant course are not allowed to miss any class, lab or clinical.
- Students must be at least 16 years of age, prior to the first day of class.
- And finally, read the Nursing Assistant FAQs.
Note: Students planning on enrolling in a Nursing Assistant course offered at their high school or through Youth Options have additional steps in this process; please see your school representative for more information. The background check, Health Screening Form, and reading requirements are still required prior to enrollment. Students must be 16 years of age to participate in the course. Questions about Youth Options? Please contact Jennifer Sauer at (608) 243-4894 or email email@example.com.