Madison College offers a fully online Administrative Professional Associate in Applied Science Degree designed for individuals employed in a business office. The program prepares learners in the technical, administrative and interpersonal skills vital to perform the duties of administrative support personnel. Apply Now!
Questions and Answers:
- Q: When can I start the online Administrative Professional program?
- A: The Administrative Professional - Online program accepts applications in both the fall and spring semesters. View the Admissions Requirements page for application deadlines.
- Q: Are there any classes only offered once per year?
- A: No. Currently, all classes are offered both Fall and Spring semesters.
- Q: Are there any special requirements to be in the online program?
- A: Yes. You must complete the Orientation to Online and Accelerated Learning prior to being admitted into the online program. Also, it is vital that you have access to a personal computer, high-speed internet connection, Windows 7 or higher and Microsoft Office 2013 or higher. (Mac computers cannot be used in the software classes.)
- Q: Do you have any suggestions for how to be successful in the online program?
- A: Yes:
- Be self-motivated, independent, and have basic knowledge in computer operations such as keyboarding, sending and receiving email, surfing the internet, etc.
- Make time to devote to class work. These are credit classes that typically meet 3-5 hours per week in the face-to-face setting, as well as time for required coursework outside of the classroom. Online students are required to do the same work as the face-to-face student. It is recommended that a beginning online learner take no more than six credits per semester.
- In addition, Windows and file management competency, minimum of 45 words per minute keyboarding speed recommended, ability to independently install and manage software programs and maintain computer files. Successful students have a mastery of English fundamentals - grammar, punctuation and spelling. One should enjoy working on computers and be detail-oriented.
- Q: Is there a suggested order of classes?
- A: Yes, please refer to the Administrative Professional curriculum sheet for the suggested order of courses.
- Q: Is there an internship or anything else unique required?
- A: Yes. There is a 1-credit, 8-week Professional Profile course required and recommended for enrollment in the first semester of the Online Administrative Professional program which introduces students to Madison College and the career field as an Administrative Professional, requiring a minimum of 3, 1-hour visits with a mentor (Administrative professional) in the field throughout the semester. In addition, a 72-hour internship is then required in the last semester of the program. At this time, the Professional Profile course is offered in the fall and the spring; and the Internship class is offered in the fall, spring and summer.
- Q: Are the classes self-paced?
- A: Typically students have one week to complete assignments with weekly deadlines. However, depending on the instructor and the curriculum that may vary.
For all other questions, please contact an Advisor in the School of Online and Accelerated Learning.