To prepare certification eligible technicians who work as members of the eye care team under the supervision of optometrists, ophthalmologists and other health care providers. To train individuals to assist in providing quality eye care to the patient.
Goals of the Optometric Technician Program:
- Provide relevant instruction to an optimal number of students each year in eye, vision, optical concepts, pre-testing procedures, specialty testing procedures, contact lenses, optical dispensing and practice management.
- Prepare students as life-long learners and problem-solvers who can respond to a continually changing eye care profession.
- Utilize technology to deliver the program content to enhance the classroom experience for the students.
- Utilize technology to deliver program content to people already employed in an eye care setting.
- Maintain program accreditation with the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education.