Prepping for Your Service Trip
Tips for Prepping for Your Service Trip:
- Attend a Service Trip Info / Preview Session. (Drop-In ~ Meet Others ~ Ask Questions)
- Practice your interviewing skills with a friend, classmate, family-member, faculty-member, co-worker or employer.
- Get finances together to cover trip costs ($100 deposit at time of application + $400 payment-in-full, if selected for a Service Team + possible baggage fees, possible ground-transportation, some meals not covered by the trip fee, entertainment, individual purchases, etc.)
- Learn about the community in which you will be doing service. Is it urban or rural? Who are the people who live in the area? What are their needs?
- Learn about the lodging location. Is it a hostel, a camp, a hotel, a bunk-house? What services & opportunities are part of that location?
- Learn about the service work you will be performing on your upcoming service trip. Do you have the skills & / or strength required to perform the service work well? Take initiative to learn skills & be physically prepared for the service work you will be performing. Arrange to do similar service work locally to practice your skills.
- Prepare to pack light & pack ONLY the essentials! See recommended packing list for your specific service trip.