Upon completion of the program, the graduate will have the attitude, knowledge, and skills necessary to enter the profession of surgical technology. The specific goals are as follows:
- Apply healthcare and technological science principles to the perioperative environment
- Maintain principles of sterile technique in the surgical environment
- Provide a safe, efficient, and supportive environment for the patient
- Prepare the patient, operating room and surgical team for the preoperative phase
- Perform intraoperative case management in the scrub role
- Perform postoperative case management
- Function as an ethical, legal, and professional member of the healthcare team as determined by governing bodies
A comprehensive course portfolio will be required for graduation.
State Wide Curriculum revised November, 2012; submitted by Carolyn Steinhorst
National Certification Examination Results
Madison College Surgical Technology students are required to take the National Certification Examinations as part of the graduation requirements for the program. This exam is given at the end of the Diploma Degree Program and is administered at Madison College in cooperation with Applied Measurement Professionals INC (AMP). The exam is written by the National Board for Certification for Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
Reference: statistical data retrieved from the AMP website, NBSTSA-School Performance Report, and the Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA) Program Outcomes Tracking Tool.
Graduation eligibility is not dependent on passing the Certified Surgical Technology (CST) examination.
More information on accreditation guidelines may be available at:
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
1361 Park Street,
Clearwater, FL 33756
Phone: (727)-210-2350; FAX: (727)210-2354
Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARCSTSA)
6 West Dry Creek Circle, Suite 110
Littleton, CO 80120