Studying at Madison College on a Student Visa

Studying at Madison College on a Student Visa

The first step in getting a student visa is to complete your admission to Madison College through the Center for International Education. Madison College has U.S. federal government permission to host F-1 and M-1 visa-holding students. F-1 and M-1 visa-holding students may also request documentation from Madison College to apply for F-2 and M-2 dependent visas for a spouse and/or children. These visas types are categorized as “non-immigrant student visas” by the U.S. government.

Transferring Visa Status
If you already have an F-1 or M-1 student visa from studying at another U.S. educational institution, then you need only to request to transfer your visa status after you have been admitted to Madison College.

Applying for Visa
After you have been admitted to Madison College, we will create an I-20 document for you to use when you apply for a student visa. If you do not yet have an F-1 or M-1 student visa, there are three ways to apply:

  1. Apply for a student visa outside of the U.S. by applying through the U.S. Department of State at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.
  2. Change your visa status within the U.S. by applying through the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services of the Department of Homeland Security.
  3. Canadian citizens applying from abroad do not need an F-1 visa stamp to enter the U.S. as an F-1 student.

For more information about each of these methods, please see the corresponding links in the right column.

Admission to Madison College is the First Step
In all cases, the visa application or transfer process cannot be started until after admission has been finalized, so it is important to apply for admission several months before the desired semester of study to allow sufficient time for visa processing. Please also consider the admission application deadlines. Lastly, all new international students are required to attend International Orientation, so plan to be on campus at that time.