Legal issues can be a big obstacle for students and other community members. Madison College has partnered with Lawyers for Learners in offering free legal advice to students and our community members.
What we do
We connect you with legal experts who can help with a variety of legal matters. Depending on your legal matter, you may receive:
- Advice: Legal counsel, including options and next steps based on your situation.
- General assistance: Help you complete forms, share information about court procedures or available resources and provide guidance on self-representation.
- Referral: We connect you with a lawyer who can help with your situation.
- Full representation: We work with you for an entire legal proceeding.
Assistance can be offered in the following areas:
- Criminal Record
- Driver's License Recovery
- Life Planning
- Name/Gender Change
- Public Benefits
Two Success Stories
Story 1: When she was 18, this student made what she admits was a “stupid mistake.” She was convicted of misdemeanor retail theft. Despite 5 years passing, this one mistake still prevented her from getting most jobs and also made it near impossible for her to be placed in a clinic program for her nursing degree. The Free Legal Clinic helped her petition the court for expungement and represented her in court where her expungement was granted.
Story 2: This student hung out with the wrong crowd in his teens. He had several drug charges on his record. Although he had never been convicted of any of the charges, the records were making it difficult for him to get a job. This student went to the Free Legal Clinic where an attorney volunteer examined his record and helped him remove all of those charges from his record. Afterward, this student had a clean record.
Legal Help Organizations
Legal help is provided by the following organizations:
- Ascendium Education Group
- City of Madison Department of Civil Rights
- Community Immigration Law Clinic
- Community Justice, Inc.
- Family Court Clinic (FCC)
- Greater Wisconsin Area on Aging Resources (GWAAR)
- Habush Habush & Rottier S.C.
- Law & Entrepreneuership Clinic
- Legal Action of Wisconsin
- Madison College
- Madison College Legal Studies/Paralegal Program
- Neighborhood Law Clinic
- Ogden, Glazer and Schaefer
- Schuster Family Law
- Stafford Rosenbaum LLP
Madison Area Technical College (Madison College) provides space for local legal service providers to offer free and confidential legal assistance to Madison College students and the Madison College community. Madison College does not provide legal advice or assistance.
Please be advised that you are receiving legal advice from a participating legal service provider, who is an independent entity. This means that Madison College and their agents are not responsible for any advice given to you. Such advice is given solely by the legal service provider, who is not an agent, employee or representative of Madison College and its agents.
You are further advised that the legal service provider may not represent you in any claim or action against Madison College, or any subdivision or affiliate thereof, or any agency or agent thereof. The legal service provider also may not represent you in any claim, action or matter in which Madison College is a party or has a legal interest.