Attendance is mandatory
You must attend International Orientation to maintain visa status. International Orientation is typically held about two weeks before the first day of the semester.
Upcoming International Orientations
SUMMER 2018 ADMITS: JUNE 8, 2018 - ATTENDANCE IS REQUIRED.
- Friday, June 8, 2018: Arrive at the Center for International Education (D1610) at Truax promptly at 9:30 a.m. and plan to stay until 12:00 p.m.
FALL 2018 ADMITS: AUGUST 27-28, 2018 - ATTENDANCE ON BOTH DAYS IS REQUIRED.
Please complete PLACEMENT TESTING before August 26, 2018.
- Monday, August 27: Arrive at the Intercultural Exchange Center, Room C1430 (section C, 1st floor) at Truax promptly at 11:45 a.m. A light lunch will be provided. Plan to stay until 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 28: Arrive at Madison College, Room C2402 (section C, 2nd floor) at Truax promptly at 11:45 a.m. No lunch is provided this day, but food is available for purchase on campus. Plan to stay until 4:30 p.m.
If you will be arriving from abroad, please arrive in Madison at least two full days before International Orientation to allow for unexpected travel delays and adjustment with travel fatigue and jet lag.
A $50 orientation fee will be charged upon admission. An additional $50 will be charged to any student who misses any part of either orientation day without prior approval from the Center for International Education.
What to Expect
Topics covered include, but are not limited to:
- A welcome reception to meet current students, faculty, staff and administrators
- How to maintain legal F-1 visa status
- How to be successful in a U.S. classroom
- How to get involved in activities on campus
- Aspects of U.S. culture and cultural adjustment
- Campus resources such as tutoring, academic advising, cafeteria options, the bookstore, etc.
- Class registration assistance from academic advisors
- How to use the required F-1 student group health insurance plan
Additional Orientation Events for All Students
We strongly encourage you to participate in these new student events as well.
Advising and Registration (A&R)
Here you will meet with your academic advisors, plan your academic career, receive personalized assistance with enrolling in classes, and begin to meet students and instructors in your program of study.
- Your invitation to register for an A&R session will be sent to you by email.
- We recommend attending an A&R session as soon as possible, since the advisors will assist with course selection and the best choice of classes will be available the earlier you register for classes. For students currently abroad, a special A&R session will be held as part of International Orientation, but you should still begin course enrollment now for the best selection of courses. The advisors can then review and suggest modifications to your class schedule during an A&R.
New students will learn about:
- getting your student ID card
- parking permit/bus pass
- getting your textbooks
- tutoring services
- library services
- how to meet with your instructors and more!