Working on-campus is allowed without special authorization:
- Limited to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters. Madison College limits student work to 19 hours a week.
- Unlimited hours during vacation periods, including spring break, winter break and during the summer semester. Madison College limits student work to 30 hours per week.
- Must stop upon graduation or otherwise completing your studies at Madison College.
- Must stop if not in valid visa status.
All off-campus work is illegal unless special authorization is granted prior to starting work. Authorization may be granted only by CIE or the USCIS and only after maintaining valid F-1 visa status for at least one academic year.
There are three different off-campus work authorizations:
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)—To fulfill an internship that is either a program requirement or elective option.
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)—To accept employment related to your program of study. OPT may be used either before or after graduating.
- Severe Economic Hardship (SEH)—To provide financial assistance following a documented and unexpected loss of financial support.
WARNING: Working without authorization is illegal and results in a visa violation with severe and long-term consequences. Please consult with CIE’s International Student Services for questions regarding whether an employment opportunity can be authorized.
Social Security Number
A Social Security Number (SSN) may be issued only if you have an eligible job offer. Without a job offer, international students are not eligible to apply for an SSN.