Maintaining F-1 Visa Status
The following details provide an overview of how to keep your student visa status valid. Remember: at least twice per semester, review and update your profile in the ISS Portal.
I-94 Arrival Record
The I-94 record shows the dates a visitor to the U.S. entered and departed the country. Formerly it was a paper card* stapled into the passport upon entry to the U.S. Now the passport is simply stamped upon entry. The stamp indicates which port of entry was used, on which date, and using which visa type. The I-94 arrival stamp looks like this:
Printing Your I-94 Record
- Visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website
- Click “Get Most Recent I-94”
- Acknowledge you have read the information by clicking “Consent & Continue”
- Enter the requested information, as it appears on your passport.
- Click “Next” then “Print”
Correcting Your I-94 Record
Contact CIE’s International Student Services, for assistance with correcting the following issues:
- If your I-94 record cannot be retrieved with the above directions,
- If it does not list the correct visa type under “Class of Admission”
- If it does not list “D/S” under “Admit Until Date”
*Paper I-94 Card
You may still have a paper I-94 card if you haven’t left the U.S. for many years. If you changed visa status while remaining in the U.S., you will have a paper I-94 card at the bottom of your change of status Approval Notice.