Military Activation/Deployment

If you are: 

  • deployed, ordered or inducted into active service in the armed forces of the United States
  • OR requested to work for the federal government during a national emergency or limited national emergency
  • AND the result is that you cannot complete some or all of your classes,

please be aware of the following:

Class Withdrawal

You may wish to drop any classes you cannot successfully complete. Do this as soon as you can. You must submit a copy of your active duty order to substantiate military activation. If you are unable to do this, a person who possesses power of attorney for you may submit it for you. They must provide your active duty orders as well as legal documentation of power of attorney.

Tuition and Fee Refund

If activation/deployment prevents you from completing your classes, an Extenuating Circumstance form must be submitted. Only military activation or deployment that requires or will require an extended absence will be considered for a possible partial or full refund via Extenuating Circumstance. See the Tuition Refunds web page for complete information on refunds and withdrawals.

Refunds are determined on a case-by-case basis and according the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) Refund Policy. Refunds will be sent in the form of check by mail to the student. If the refund should be mailed to another address, please provide that information. 

Book refunds are determined by the Madison College Bookstore on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Bookstore directly and provide the books, a purchase receipt, and a copy of activation orders. 

Financial Aid

Tuition and fee refunds will first be directed to repay Federal Financial Aid, should a Return of Financial Aid be required. In some cases, Madison College is required to utilize a portion of tuition and fees refunded to reduce the student's loan dept. Madison College will repay the institution and student portion of Federal grants. 

Classes withdrawn due to activation will not be counted as credits attempted and will not adversely affect Satisfactory Academic Progress

If you received loans, you should contact the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at 800-433-3243 for assistance with determining the correct type of loan deferment or forbearance. Should you be unable to contact NSLDS a person in possession of power of attorney may initiate contact.

Program Readmission

After deployment, you may request readmission to your prior academic program. To do this, submit the Program Readmission After Military Activation/Deployment form (PDF, 59KB) along with a copy of your deployment papers or your most recent DD214 Form. Madison College will provide priority re-admission in this scenario. Re-entry into your program will be effective the next available semester. If you request admission to a new program of study, you must submit a new program application.

For assistance, please contact the Enrollment Center at or (608) 246-6210.

Veterans Educational Benefits

Madison College Veterans Services will submit a Change of Student Status (VA Form 22-1999b) effective the date of your withdrawal request indicating you have been ordered to active duty. The Department of Veterans Affairs will stop your benefits effective the date of withdrawal.

Academic Impact

You are strongly encouraged to meet with a counselor or program advisor to discuss options. Potential completion of coursework may be discussed with instructors.