Physical Therapist Assistant
Associate Degree in Applied Science
The PTA program is not accepting applications at this time, as changes in the Madison College District job market have created a Physical Therapist Assistant supply that exceeds the industry demand. Should a change occur in the job market, this website will be updated.
A physical therapist assistant (PTA) is a technical healthcare worker who carries out patient treatments under the supervision of a physical therapist.
The primary purpose of physical therapy is to promote optimal human health and function through the application of scientific principles to prevent, identify assess, correct or alleviate acute or prolonged movement dysfunction.
The Physical Therapist Assistant program at Madison College will train you to:
- Assist the physical therapist in the treatment of individuals of all ages with medical conditions limiting their ability to move or perform functional activities of daily living
- Implement selected components of patient/client interventions (treatments)
- Obtain data related to interventions provided
- Modify selected interventions within the plan of care established by the physical therapist
- Administer modalities and other interventions
- Implement and progress therapeutic exercise programs
- Document patient assessments and progress towards established goals
- Communicate with other healthcare professionals
Please note that upon admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant program, you will be required to complete a background check and provide documentation of current required-immunizations and current Healthcare Provider CPR certification. Further information about these requirements will be shared at program orientation.
Physical Therapist Assistant program students must attend full time.
Classes are offered Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Physical Therapist Assistant classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
Explore financial aid eligibility for this program.
All courses for this program are offered only in person.
The PTA program is not accepting students at this time as changes in the Madison College District job market have created a Physical Therapist Assistant supply that exceeds the industry demand. Should a change occur in the job market, this website will be updated.
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2019-2020 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.20-806-2064 credits10-801-1953 credits10-809-1973 credits10-809-1993 credits10-524-1564 credits10-524-1394 credits10-524-1402 credits10-801-1973 credits10-809-1883 credits10-524-1573 credits10-524-1423 credits10-524-1434 credits10-801-1983 credits10-524-1444 credits10-524-1454 credits10-524-1463 credits10-524-1472 credits10-524-1483 credits10-524-1492 credits10-524-1502 credits10-524-1515 creditsElective3 credits
After completing the Physical Therapist Assistant program at Madison Area Technical College, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective communication with patients, families and health care team.
- Exhibit behaviors and conduct that reflect respect and sensitivity according to physical therapy practice standards.
- Function under the supervision of a physical therapist in a safe, legal and ethical manner to ensure the safety of patients, self, and others throughout the clinical interaction.
- Produce documentation to support the delivery of physical therapy services.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills to implement and adjust treatment within a plan of care under the direct supervision of a physical therapist.
- Perform data collection essential for carrying out the plan of care under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist.
- Perform technically competent, evidence-based physical therapy interventions under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist.
- Educate patients, families and other health providers.
- Integrate components of operational and fiscal practices of physical therapy service in a variety of settings.
- Implement a self-directed plan for career development, credentialing and lifelong learning.
To prepare graduates with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains fo respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists (RRTs).
Physical Therapist Assistants find employment in a wide range of health care facilities:
- Nursing Homes
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Home Care Agencies
- Outpatient Clinics
- Sports Medicine Centers
- Private Health and Fitness Centers
Estimated Program Cost
# of Credits for Completion67Tuition$9337.90Materials/Supplemental Costs$1205.02Other Costs$148.00Total Estimated Program Costs:
(book costs not included)$10690.92
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2016 2017 2018 Number of Program Graduates 14 13 15 Number of Surveys Sent 14 13 14 Number of Surveys Returned 10 11 14 Percent of Surveys Returned 71.40% 84.60% 100.00% Available for Employment 10 11 13 Percent Available for Employment 100.00% 100.00% 92.90% Not in Labor Market 0 0 1 Percent Not in Labor Market 0.00% 0.00% 7.10% Available for Employment
2016 2017 2018 Graduates Employed 9 10 12 Percent of Graduates Employed 90.00% 90.90% 92.30% Employed in Related Occupation 9 7 11 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 100.00% 70.00% 91.70% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 0 3 1 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 0.00% 30.00% 8.30% Employed - No Response 0 0 0 Percent Employed - No Response 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Seeking Employment 1 1 1 Percent Seeking Employment 10.00% 9.10% 7.70% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.3 3.3 3.7 Number of Satisfaction Responses 10 11 14 Very Satisfied 4 5 10 Percent Very Satisfied 40.00% 45.50% 71.40% Satisfied 5 4 4 Percent Satisfied 50.00% 36.40% 28.60% Unsatisfied 1 2 0 Percent Unsatisfied 10.00% 18.20% 0.00% Very Unsatisfied 0 0 0 Percent Very Unsatisfied 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Number of Primary Reason Responses 10 11 14 Preparation for Getting a Job 3 3 10 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 30.00% 27.30% 71.40% Career Change 7 8 3 Percent Career Change 70.00% 72.70% 21.40% Improvement of Existing Skills 0 0 1 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 0.00% 0.00% 7.10% Preparation for Further Education 0 0 0 Percent Preparation for Further Education 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Personal Interest 0 0 0 Percent Personal Interest 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Other 0 0 0 Percent Other 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% When Employment was Obtained
2016 2017 2018 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 9 10 12 Before Enrollment 0 2 0 Percent Before Enrollment 0.00% 20.00% 0.00% While Attending the College 2 0 1 Percent While Attending the College 22.20% 0.00% 8.30% After Training at the College 7 8 11 Percent After Training at the College 77.80% 80.00% 91.70% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2016 2017 2018 Number of Employment Location Responses 9 10 12 In College District 8 8 8 Percent In College District 88.90% 80.00% 66.70% In Wisconsin, Not in District 1 0 3 Percent of In Wisconsin 11.10% 0.00% 25.00% Outside of Wisconsin 0 2 1 Percent Outside Wisconsin 0.00% 20.00% 8.30% Employer Location Unknown 0 0 0 Percent Location Unknown 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2016 2017 2018 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 5 4 6 Average Monthly Wage $3,418 $3,702 $3,387 Average Hourly Wage $19.87 $21.52 $19.69 Average Work Hours per Week 38 38.5 40 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 4 3 5 Average Hourly Wage $21.55 $25.67 $24.37 Average Work Hours per Week 29.3 11 26.4
Total Positions Open for academic year: 2018 Wisconsin TechConnectTM Jobs* Madison Non-Madison Number of Full Time Positions Open 0 41 Number of Part Time Positions Open 21 31 Total Jobs 21 72 Graduate Employers for academic year: 2018 Employer(s) Job Title City** State*** Positions Aegis Therapies Physical Therapy Assistant Wyocena Community Living Alliance Personal Care Worker Interim Healthcare Physical Therapy Assistant Marquardt Memorial Manor Physical Therapy Assistant Watertown Medical Support Services Physical Therapy Assistant Racine Select Specialty Hospital Physical Therapy Assistant SSM Health at Home Physical Therapy Assistant St Agnesian Hospital Physical Therapy Assistant Fond Du Lac Waunakee Manor Health Care Center Physical Therapy Assistant Waunakee West Portland Physical Therapy Clinic Physical Therapy Assistant Portland OR
* - Wisconsin TechConnectTM jobs are posted through a statewide consortium operated and funded by all 16 of the technical colleges in Wisconsin.
** - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
*** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
**** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at email@example.com
The Physical Therapist Assistant program at Madison Area Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone (703) 706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: www.capteonline.org.
If you need to contact the program or institution directly, please call (608) 258-2362 or email email@example.com.