Required Health Insurance
F-1 Visa-holding International Students
Accidents happen and it's best to be prepared. Health care in the U.S. is extremely expensive and there are a lot of insufficient health insurance plans in the market. The Center for International Education (CIE) has researched best options and is happy to have a specific group health insurance plan for international students.
It is critical that you have this specific plan to ensure access to health care that meets our minimum expectations. All rates for coverage match the start and end dates of each semester and will be charged to your student account. Payment is due on the same date as tuition and fees.
important: Coverage begins on the first day of your first semester at Madison College and ends when CIE no longer supports your F-1 visa status - this includes summer, even if you are not taking classes or are traveling abroad.
Waiver Process: The cost of group insurance will be added to your student account each semester. A waiver will be considered only if you meet ALL the elgibility requirements listed on the Waiver Request process. To start the Waiver Request process, log in with your Madison College email address and password. The waiver is not considered approved until CIE gets final notification from the insurance company, after which the insurance fee will be removed from your student account.
Average Health Care Costs Without Insurance
- Routine office visit = $250+
- Blood test = $600+
- Emergency room visit = $500+
- Ambulance ride = $750+
- MRI = $3,000+
Terms to Know
- Insurance Plan = An affordable way to help you pay for your health care needs
- Provider = A doctor, physician, or health care professional
- Network = The health care locations and providers your health insurance plan has contracted with to provide health care services
- Claims = A request to the insurance company asking for payment of health care services based on the terms of the insurance plan
See the Glossary of Health Coverage and Medical Terms (PDF, 90KB) for additional information.
Group Health Cooperative (GHC), who runs the student clinic at the Truax campus, is currently not part of the same network as our group health insurance plan. The student clinic should only be used for the following needs:
- Allergy symptoms
- Cold and flu-like symptoms/fever
- Ear or eye problems
- Minor sprains/strains
- Skin concerns
- Stomach upset
- Burning or stinging with urination
Care Options in Order of Need
Student Clinic (GHC) - limited, minor issues
- Madison College Health Education Building, Room 151A
Primary Care Doctor (CIE Group Plan) - majority of issues
- UW Health - Northeast Family Medical Center
3209 Dryden Dr, Madison | (608) 241-9020
Urgent Care (CIE Group Plan) - urgent, non-life threatening issues
- Concentra Urgent Care
1619 N Stoughton Rd, Madison | (608) 244-1213
Emergency Room (CIE Group Plan) - critical or life threatening emergencies
- University of WI Hospital and Clinics
600 Hyland Ave, Madison | (608) 263-6400
Disclaimer: Always confirm in advance that the provider is still part of the First Health PPO network.