All F-1 visa-holding international students must file at least one form related to tax purposes! The Deadline to submit it, in most cases is Monday, April 18, 2017.
Please note that Center for International Education (CIE) staff members are not trained in tax consultation. The following information has been compiled to the best of our ability in order to provide general guidance to you and to direct you to professional, qualified sources for further tax advising assistance. ALL tax-related questions should be directed to Sprintax: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-866-601-5695. Let them know you are a Madison College student.
ALL F-1 visa-holding international students should file the 8843 form, even if you did not work or receive other types of income (scholarship, grant, stipend, etc.) in the US during 2016. Anyone who spent even one day of 2016 in F, J, M, or Q visa status should file the 8843. F-2 dependents (including children) must also file the 8843. Please find suggestions of how to complete the 8843 (PDF, 164KB). If you have questions with how to complete the 8843, please follow the numbered steps 1-4 below to use Sprintax to complete the 8843.
If you were NOT employed or did NOT receive other income in 2016, form 8843 should be mailed to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215
If you DID work in the US or DID receive a stipend, grant, scholarship or other allowance in 2016, then you should also file federal and state tax forms, in addition to the 8843. To make this easier for you, CIE has paid for you to have free access to an online tax preparation software tool called Sprintax, which will guide you through the Federal tax filing process at no cost to you. It will also complete the 8843 for you at no charge. All you need to do is:
- Create an Account by following the simple instructions,
- Complete the online questionnaire,
- Enter the code (which will be emailed to you from CIE) in the box on the ‘Review your order’ page,
- Sprintax will prepare your tax return and check if you’re due a refund.
NOTE: If you wish to use Sprintax to complete the State tax return, the arrangements CIE has made will allow you to pay for this at a discounted price. If you have questions, email email@example.com or call 1-866-601-5695.
The 1098-T form, that you may have received from Madison College, shows the amount of tuition you paid to the college in 2016. Sprintax will help you determine if this form is needed when filing a federal or state tax return. It should not be needed if you are only filing the 8843.
How to Print Your 1098-T
A 1098-T form is a statement of your tuition or educational expenses. You may submit your 1098-T each calendar year to the IRS to claim educational credit when you file your taxes. To access the document, do the following:
- Log into the myMadisonCollege Classic Portal.
- Go to your Student Center.
- Under the Finances section, click on View 1098-T in the "Other Financial" dropdown menu.
- Grant permission to view your 1098-T online by clicking on the "Grant Consent" button.
- Carefully read the 1098-T consent agreement and select the check box that yes, you have read the agreement and then click "Submit."
- Next, click on the "View 1098-T Selection" button.
- Review any 1098-T information carefully.
The IRS requires us to have your Social Security number (SSN) to issue your 1098-T. We can also use your individual tax identification number (ITIN). If you need to provide us with your SSN or ITIN, complete and submit a W-9 Form. You can bring the form and a photo ID to one of our campuses, or you can mail the information to the Truax Enrollment Center.