The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available to retrieve data directly form a filed tax return for use on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you and/or parents who use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on their FAFSA and do not change any of the data elements retrieved will not be required to submit tax transcripts for yourself and/or their parents or spouses in the event you are selected for verification. Tax data will be available for retrieval on the FAFSA within:
- 1-2 weeks if you filed your taxes electronically
- 6-8 weeks if you filed your taxes with a paper tax return by mail
Follow the instructions below for how to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on your FAFSA. The instructions will start with the assumption that you are not already in your FAFSA.
- Login to the FAFSA website using your FSA ID.
- If you do not have an FSA ID select "Create an FSA ID" and go through the process to create one.
- If you have forgotten yours, select "Create an FSA ID" and select the Edit My FSA ID tab and click "Forgot My Username" or "Forgot My Password".
- If you have already submitted your FAFSA, select Make FAFSA Corrections.
- Create a "Save Key"
- Verify your previously entered demographic information and make updates as needed.
- Go to the Financial Information tab
- Make sure that the status of the tax return is marked "Already Completed". If marked "Will File" or "Not Going to File" you cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Complete the series of questions provided to determine if you can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- If eligible, click the "Link to IRS" to be transferred to the IRS database.
- A message indicating you are leaving FAFSA on the web will pop up, select OK
- Enter the required filling status and address information exactly as it was filed with the IRS and click Submit.
- Review the tax information displayed, check the "Transfer my Tax Information to the FAFSA" box.
- Click the Transfer Now button. You will be redirected back to the FAFSA.
- Note: Everything transferred over from the IRS will say "Transferred from the IRS," be sure not to change any of this information.
- Update the income earned from work questions (if applicable).
- After retrieving tax information, continue to the "Sign and Submit" section and follow instructions to submit your corrections.
Note: If you are a dependent student and required to provide parental information, you may also use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for your parents. Navigate to the Parent Financial Information tab and repeate steps 6 through 14.
Students and/or Parents who are ineligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (or choose not to use the tool) and whose FAFSA is selected for verification must submit the IRS Tax Return Transcript to the Financial Aid Office.