You may dispute your final grade if you have evidence that it is inaccurate or unjustified. You are encouraged to contact Conflict Management Services to discuss the dispute process in detail. All grade disputes begin with your instructor.
allowable dispute reasons
- The grade was issued in error. You must be able to demonstrate a calculation error, missing information or grade entry mistakes.
- The grade was issued arbitrarily. You must be able to show the grade lacked a reasonable basis.
- You have documentation that you received a lower grade than another student whose work was at the same level as yours.
To dispute a grade, contact the following individuals:
Contact your instructor in writing or in person, indicating the reason you are disputing the grade. Contact deadlines:
- Fall term - February 15
- Spring term - July 31
- Summer/Interim - September 30
Most disputes can be resolved through a courteous and rational discussion. If the instructor agrees with you, they will change the grade. If the instructor does not agree with you, they will email your college account or send written notice to your mailing address.
2. Program Dean
If you do not agree with your instructor's decision or if you cannot reach your instructor, you may appeal to your program dean. Contact deadlines:
- Fall term - March 1
- Spring term - August 31
- Summer/Interim - October 31
Provide written documentation that you could not reach the instructor despite reasonable efforts or that your instructor decided not to change your grade. Be sure to include dates and times of attempted contacts, printed emails, etc.
You may be asked to meet with the dean and the instructor to resolve the dispute. You are allowed one support person in such meetings, but they are not allowed to speak, mediate or advocate for you.
The dean will complete the review within 10 business days of receiving the appeal.
You will be notified of the dean's decision within five business days of the review.
3. Academic Appeals Board
You have a final opportunity to appeal your final grade should you disagree with the decision made by the dean. You may contact the Provost’s office to request a hearing of the Academic Appeals Board. The instructor has the same right. Contact deadlines:
- Fall term – March 31
- Spring term – September 30
- Summer/Interim – November 30
Provide written documentation of:
- Your instructor’s refusal to change your grade (or that you were unable to contact him/her).
- The dean’s refusal to change your grade.
- Your reason for disputing the grade.
- What you believe the correct final grade to be.
The Provost’s office will schedule a hearing within 10 days of receiving your request. During the hearing, you are allowed to have one support person with you, but they are not allowed to speak, mediate or advocate for you.
The Academic Appeals Board will inform all parties of their decision within five business days of the hearing. The decisions of the Academic Appeals Board are final.