Who is eligible for the Madison College TRIO Program?
Eligibility for TRIO is determined by federal regulations. To qualify, a student must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Be a first-generation college student (which means that neither parent has completed a bachelor’s degree)
- Meet federal low-income guidelines
- Have documented disability status with Madison College’s Disability Resource Services (DRS)
Why should I join?
The TRIO program at Madison College provides outstanding, individualized support and offers a wide range of targeted services. All our activities are designed to help you achieve your personal and academic goals in a timely manner.
TRIO programs across the country have been helping students realize their dreams for nearly 50 years, and the TRIO program at Madison College is proud to continue that tradition.
Interested in joining TRIO?
COMPLETE THE TRIO APPLICATION
What are the steps to be admitted to TRIO?
- Fill out the TRIO application
- Interview with the TRIO director
- Onboarding/orientation meeting with a TRIO coach/coordinator
- Advising/Personal Education Planning (PEP) meeting with a TRIO advisor
All three appointments are necessary to be accepted into the TRIO program and must be completed within four weeks of each other.
How much does it cost to participate in TRIO?
Nothing! The TRIO program is funded through the Department of Education and matching funds from Madison College. There is no cost to you. All we ask is that you take full advantage of the resources available to you.
What are the TRIO requirements?
Once accepted into the program, you must:
- Meet with a TRIO advisor or academic success coach three times each semester to discuss your academic progress, course selection, educational goals, career objectives and any other concerns you might have
- Attend three workshops each semester, one of which must be a financial literacy workshop
Does TRIO provide any financial support?
Yes, if you are a Pell eligible student you may qualify for a TRIO grant that is generally awarded each April. Amounts vary depending on how many students apply for it and how many of the listed requirements you have completed.
How much of my time will the program take every semester?
The time commitment largely depends upon you. It might be a few hours each semester or a few hours each week. TRIO meetings, workshops, discussions and tutoring are offered to help ensure your success at Madison College and beyond.
How long will I be in the program?
The main goal of TRIO is to have students complete a degree and transfer within four years of entrance into the program. Typically, participants connect with TRIO during their first year at Madison College and remain in the program until they graduate and/or transfer to another college. Continuing students at Madison College also are eligible and encouraged to apply.