Veteran New Student Checklist

Student Service Member/Veteran and Dependents

Follow the standard Admissions Process to apply to a degreee or certificate program at Madison College. Then follow the instructions below to apply for veterans benefits. 

Education Benefit Checklist

It is the student's responsibility to understand and adhere to the minimum requirements for maintaining their veteran benefits. If assistance is needed with understanding the minimum requirements, contact Enrollment Services at (608) 246-6038 or

  1. Determine Your Benefits

    Contact the Veterans Affairs (VA) or Wisconsin Division of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) to determine which education benefits you are eligible for.

  2. Federal or State Benefits

    Find your Federal or State benefit below and follow the checklist.


    Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), Reservists and National Guard Educational Assistance (Chapter 1606 or 1607)

    Apply for Federal Veterans Benefits with the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).


    • A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility
    • A copy of your DD-214 (unless you are the child or spouse of the veteran)
    • A copy of your completed VA Enrollment Form (Madison College Form)
    • Kicker Contract Documentation (if applicable)
    • Buy Up Documentation (if applicable)

    VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

    Complete the VA Form 28-1900 online. You will be working with a VA Advisor who will submit documentation on your behalf.


    • No documentation needed from student

    Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

    Apply to the VA online with the VA form 22-5490 on the VA website.


    • A copy of your submitted application (22-5490)
    • A copy of your completed VA Enrollment Form (Madison College Form)

    National Guard Tuition Reimbursement Grant

    Submit to Madison College:

    • A copy of your completed form DMA 189

    Military Spouse Career Advancement

    Determine elegibility by calling 800-342-9647.

    Submit to Madison College:

    • No documentation needed from student.

    If transferring from another college

    Apply to the VA online with the VA Form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training)

    Submit to Madison College:

    • A copy of your submitted application (22-1995)
    • A copy of your completed VA Enrollment Form (Madison College Form)

    Other Benefits: If you are eligible for another benefit not listed here, please feel free to contact Veteran Benefit Services at (608) 246-6038 or to ensure you have submitted all necessary paperwork to Madison College.


    Wisconsin GI Bill

    Apply to the WDVA by completing the WDVA Form 2030 found under Benefit Application Forms.

    Submit to Madison College:

    • WDVA Form 2029 found under Benefit Application Forms.
    • Spouses and dependents also should submit marriage certificates and birth certificates

    WI VetEd Grant

    Apply to the WDVA by submitting WDVA Form 2200 found under Benefit Application forms.

    Submit to Madison College:

    • No documentation needed from student.

    Assistance applying for education benefits: Contact your local County Veteran Service Office or call the VA at 1-888-442-451 or WDVA at 1-800-WIS-VETS (947-8387).


  3. Submit Application Materials

    Submit checklist items for Madison College to Enrollment Services at the Truax Campus (1701 Wright St. Madison, WI 53704) or your regional campus front desk.

  4. Submit Your FAFSA

    Apply for the Free Application for Financial Aid. Federal financial aid awards do not affect your military education benefit eligibility.

Before Classes Start

Priority Registration: For priority registration early enrollment for every semester you are a student, complete and submit the Military Service Priority Registration Request Form.

Textbooks: Required textbooks are listed in the class description in your Student Center class schedule. Consider whether post-9/11 book stipend funding and/or financial aid funding will be available to you by the time you need to purchase books.

OneCard: The OneCard is your student ID for identification purposes, checking out materials in the library, accessing the fitness center and entry into Madison College sporting events, as well as a debit card for food services at the Truax campus, which offers a 10% discount. You can get your OneCard in the Student Life office. You will need to bring a photo ID and your student ID number.

Parking Permit: A valid parking permit is required for all vehicles parked at the Truax or Commerical Avenue campuses. The parking permit cost is included in the commuter services fee. Parking permits are issued for the entire academic year instead of individual semesters and may be picked up at the Public Safety Services administration office (Truax Room B1240).

Bus Pass: Semesterlong Madison Metro bus passes are also part of the commuter fee. They can be picked up at a Student Life office at the Downtown, South or Truax campuses by showing a valid Madison College OneCard ID.

Wolfpack Welcome: The purpose of the Wolfpack Welcome is to prepare new students for the beginning of their college career. Watch for an invite to attend the Wolfpack Welcome. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.