The Writing Center is OPEN!
Tuesday, May 26 through Wednesday, August 12
Click "How to Make Appointments" to learn about using Writing Center Live.
View the tabs below for more details on hours and services.
- HoursWriting Center Live
THE WRITING CENTER IS HERE FOR YOU!
We have two Writing Centers available to support you!
Open May 26 - August 12
Online Writing Center - Receive feedback via email within 2 business days.
- Monday - Friday
Writing Center Live - Meet with a tutor in real-time via WebEx or phone. Writing Center Live is replacing face-to-face tutoring.
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 8 - 11 am and 2 - 5 pm
Tuesday - Thursday 6 - 8 pm
Sunday 11 am - 3 pm
These hours are subject to change, please check back frequently.Online Writing Center
Writing Center Live
TO SIGN UP FOR A WRITING CENTER LIVE
APPOINTMENT WATCH THIS VIDEO
OR FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW
From the Madison College Writing Center homepage, click on Make/Cancel Appointment button and enter your username and password, then choose WC LIVE from the dropdown menu and follow the instructions to find an available time slot.
In the Notes window, enter your phone number and whether you’re interested in a WebEx or phone session. If you’re not sure, just say that. We can decide together once your session starts.
Next, check your Madison College email. You will get a confirmation with some instructions and your tutor may contact you as well.
Be by a computer and a phone at your scheduled appointment time. Unless you and your tutor have arranged otherwise, your tutor will call you at your appointment time. If they cannot reach you, they will try again in five minutes. Note: the tutor’s phone number may show up as “Unidentified” in your caller I.D.Be a Tutor
Online Writing Center
Online tutoring is a great option for those seeking feedback from a Writing Center tutor but can't make it to one of our campuses. Below are the online tutoring guidelines, but you may also view the Online Tutoring video for more details.
1. Your paper will be reviewed, not edited, proofread or "fixed." Writing Center tutors will note overall issues/concerns (including grammatical errors), but they cannot point out each and every spelling or grammar error.
2. You will receive feedback from a tutor within two business days.*
3. Your attached file MUST be a Word document and may not exceed 2MB in size.
4. To meet our service guidelines, we can only review up to 6 pages per submission. You may submit more pages, but you must specify which pages we review.
*During peak volume times, feedback may take longer.
Be a Tutor
Do you enjoy teaching and learning from others? Are you someone who has always been good at writing? Have you always considered writing difficult and tedious? If you answered yes to any of these questions, consider enrolling in “English 2: Peer Tutoring and Writing” and becoming a Madison College Peer Tutor!
ABOUT THE COURSE
This course meets the same requirements and transferability as any English 2 class. However, it includes the added bonus of improving your writing and communication skills by helping others improve theirs. You will experience both traditional classroom learning as well as hands-on learning in the Writing Center.
After successfully completing the Peer Tutoring course, you will be eligible to join our exceptional Writing Center staff as a paid peer tutor. It’s an excellent way to continue honing your communication skills, meet other students and earn extra cash. It is also a great experience to include on a resume!
WHAT PAST PEER TUTORS HAVE SAID
- “I never considered myself ‘tutor material.’ I certainly wasn’t a perfect writer. But I learned you don’t need to be the best writer to be a really good tutor.”
- “’Peer Tutoring and Writing’ changed the way I write. In helping others organize their ideas, I learned better organization.”
- “Those moments when I’d be working with someone and together we made a breakthrough – that’s just awesome.”
WANT MORE INFORMATION?
Email Writing Center Director Sarah Z. Johnson at email@example.com.
The Writing Center's mission is to help members of the Madison College community become more effective, confident and successful communicators.