If you show as applied for graduation in your Student Center, paid the graduation fee and would like to participate in the commencement ceremony, turn your Graduate Card in to the Student Life office or regional campus office (beginning Monday, November 11, 2019) By doing so you will obtain your:
- Cap, gown and tassel (see Graduation Dress Policy below)
- Ceremony participation instructions
If you have a FERPA hold on your student record, but would like your name displayed in the commencement program, you will need to request to have the FERPA hold removed.
If you are not near one of the Madison College campuses or are an out-of-state graduate and plan to attend the ceremony, but are unable to pick up your graduation items in person, contact the Student Life office at (608) 243-4164 for further details.
If you are not completing your degree this term, but would like to participate in the ceremony (walk only), please contact an Academic Advisor. As a WALK ONLY, if you would like to have your name printed in the program, you must notify an advisor no later than November 27, 2019!
Graduates who will be 100 percent finished at the end of the term and have an "Applied Status" for the current term in their Student Center will have their names printed in the program regardless of whether they will or will not be attending.
If the ceremony needs to be canceled for any reason, a WolfPack Alert will be sent. Please be sure to sign up for these alerts prior to the ceremony. You can also check the Madison College website for information.
Graduation Dress Policy
Academic regalia (cap and gown) are required to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Only academic-related additions to the regalia will be allowed as follows:
- White cord: A cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher within program of study
- Gold cord: Exceptional Service to the college and community nominated by Madison College faculty or staff
- Red, white and blue cord: Students who have served in the armed services
- Blue and white cord: TOPS College Success Program
- Pins awarded to Nursing
- Medallions awarded to Honors Program students
- The gold stole of Phi Theta Kappa as well as the silver stole for Sigma Alpha Pi Society of Leadership and Success
- Other items signifying Phi Theta Kappa Membership, including ceremonial tassel, cord, or medallion
- Stoles distributed by TRIO and by Center for International Education for International Students representing their country of origin
- Yellow and blue tassel: Delta Alpha Pi International Honor Society
- Other college distributed adornments approved by Madison College
- Tasteful adornments to the cap limited to the representation of the degree being granted
*Madison College reserves the right to deny, change, modify, add or withdraw the above dress policy
Pictures at the Ceremony
Empire Photography has been photographing our commencement ceremonies for many years. Each graduate is photographed as they receive their diploma and a solo portrait is also taken after they exit the stage. You can pre-register for proofs or you can scan the QR code below (available soon). Proofs will also be sent via mail to graduates within 48 hours of the ceremony. If you have any questions, please email Empire Photography.
Pictures may be taken by guests from the designated photo areas while graduates are receiving their diploma or following the ceremony.
Honors and Awards
Academic Honor Awards
- Candidates for Academic High Honor Awards must attain an overall major grade point average of 3.75.
- Graduating students become eligible in two-year programs by achieving a 3.75 GPA after completing 75 percent of the total program credit requirements.
- Graduating students in one-year programs become eligible by achieving a 3.75 GPA after completing 50 percent of the total program requirements.
Candidates are designated on the graduation program and wear a white cord at the graduation ceremony. Final determination for awarding of Graduation Academic Honors is made at the time of program completion and includes the graduates maintaining a 3.75 GPA in the program. Students who achieve this program GPA will have a special designation included on their diploma.
Special Service Awards
Students demonstrating extraordinary service to fellow students and the college are nominated for the Special Service Award. These nominees will have demonstrated leadership in student government, clubs and/or participated voluntarily in college-sponsored educational or recreational activities. Selected students will be designated on the graduation program and will wear a gold cord at the graduation ceremony.
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
Graduating students who are members of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society for two-year colleges wear gold stoles and tassels at the graduation ceremony. Membership is by invitation only and students must maintain a cumulative 3.5 grade point average.
Military Veterans Service Awards
Madison College honors its graduating military veterans by presenting them with special red, white and blue cords to wear during the commencement ceremony. Please join us in thanking them for their dedicated service to our country.
Commencement Ceremony Live Broadcast
Anyone who is unable to attend the commencement ceremony can watch the live broadcast (available Thursday, December 19 @ 6:30 p.m.). If you have a slow internet connection or have problems viewing the primary link, please use the backup video broadcast link (available Thursday, December 19 @ 6:30 p.m.). After choosing the link, you will be presented with either the video page or a page recommending you download software. Note that this will only be live on a computer and not on any mobile device or in the Chrome browser.
If you are not able to watch the commencement ceremony live, an on-demand video will be posted approximately one hour after the end of the ceremony.
If you prefer to own a copy of the video, a DVD of the ceremony can be purchased for $15. Come to the Student Life office to fill out the order form. Cash only.
PAST COMMENCEMENT VIDEOS
2019 Spring Commencement Video
2018 Midyear Commencement Video
2018 Spring Commencement Video
2017 Midyear Commencement Video
2017 Spring Commencement Video
2016 Spring Commencement video
2016 Midyear Commencement video