Step in on the ground floor of a well-paying and rewarding career.
If you enjoy exploring the latest technology used in the field, working with your hands, and earning while you learn, an apprenticeship may be a great opportunity for you.
Apprenticeships are training programs that combine structured on-the-job training with related classroom instruction. Apprentices are sponsored by employers, employer associations or labor/management groups, and they receive a regular wage during training.
Wisconsin is unique among the 50 states in requiring employers to pay apprentices for both time worked and time spent in the required classroom instruction, proving that employers in Wisconsin recognize the full importance of apprenticeship training. As a result, apprentices receive an hourly wage for attending classes.
If you complete an apprenticeship approved by the State of Wisconsin, you can continue to build your career path by earning an Associate Degree in Applied Science through the Technical Studies Journey Worker program. Under Apprenticeship Resources, view WTCS Active Apprenticeship Programs Snapshot, Grouped by Sector and College (Color Chart).
Applying to an apprenticeship program is different than applying for a degree program. The process is similar to applying for a job. You may be asked to fill out an application, complete the Accuplacer testing and/or take an aptitude test, and interview for the position. Applications are reviewed by either the Joint Apprenticeship Committee for that trade, an employer association or an individual employer (depending on the trade).
Madison College Apprenticeship Programs
The following apprenticeships are available.
- Barbering Apprentice
- Biotechnology Lab Support Assistant Apprentice
- Bricklaying/Masonry Apprentice
- Cosmetology Apprentice
- Electrical Construction Apprentice
- Electrician Apprentice (ABC)
- Facilities Maintenance Technician Apprentice
- HVAC Apprentice (ABC)
- Industrial Electrician Apprentice
- Injection Mold Set-Up (Plastic) Apprentice
- IT-Cybersecurity Analyst Apprenticeship
- IT-Data Analyst Apprenticeship
- IT-Service Desk Technician Apprenticeship
- IT-Software Developer Apprenticeship
- Machinist Apprenticeship
- Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright Apprentice
- Maintenance Technician Apprentice
- Plumbing Apprentice
- Telecommunications Voice Data Video Installer Technician
- Tool & Die Apprentice