Course Placement Testing
Taking the Placement Test through Madison Area Technical College:
Madison College is dedicated to providing an effective, streamlined, and barrier-free experience for course placement and student enrollment. As a result, Madison College has temporarily expanded course placement options, including Multiple Measures for course placement and enrollment during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Students have three Multiple Measures options for meeting placement requirements for course enrollment:
1. ACT scores as the primary placement tool (highest score; up to 5 years), OR
2. ACCUPLACER NextGen scores (highest score; up to 5 years), OR
3. High School GPA (up to 5 years; specific GPA ranges required for course enrollment)
Due to COVID-19, we encourage current and prospective students to access virtual testing appointments. Internet, audio and video capabilities are needed for all session types. To request a test session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the information listed below. A proctor will contact you to discuss virtual proctoring options and schedule your session.
- Student ID number
- Telephone number
- Program of study
- Test subjects needed (Reading, Writing, Math)
- Equipment you have available for use during the exam (Computer, Laptop, Tablet +Smart Phone)
- Best day of the week and time to take the Course Placement exam
Self-scheduling: Scheduling for virtual sessions is now available.
Our web calendar offers limited virtual and in-person sessions. You may register for the session of your choice by clicking the link below. Please note: registration closes 48 hours prior to session start time. For students, without internet, audio and video access, choose an in-person testing session. If unable to find a session option, follow the email instructions above and a proctor will contact you to schedule your appointment.
The Madison College placement test is a computerized, un-timed placement tool that assesses your reading, math and English skills. Your scores will impact your educational planning, so we encourage you to prepare for the test.
- A valid photo ID is required at all test sessions.
- Placement test scores are valid for two years from date of the exam.
- During the COVID-19 closure, Madison College will accept ACT, Accuplacer Next Gen, Classic Accuplacer, and COMPASS scores for up to 5 years. Additionally, students will be able to use their high school GPA (within 5 years) in lieu of placement testing.
- Placement testing is required for all students, with a few exceptions (see below)
- Exam sessions last 1.5 to 3 hours. You will work at your own pace.
If you need your test scores sent to another institution, complete the Test Score Request form.
Smart Start sessions are held at the South Campus for students needing help with the college's program application and financial processes.