Dual Credit Courses
Dual credit/concurrent enrollment allows high school students to take a college-level course right at their own high school, taught by a certified high school instructor. Students receive technical college credit upon successful completion of their college-level class (with a grade of C or above). The course is identical to the Madison College course taught on our campus.
There is no cost to high school students for dual credit/concurrent enrollment courses. Students participating in dual credit courses must be admitted and register for their class following Madison College procedures.
Students eligible for dual credit/concurrent enrollment include high school juniors and seniors who have maintained a high grade point average and are ready for the challenge of a college-level course. They may not have any significant disciplinary problems on their student record. For more information, be sure to speak to your high school counselor.
To take Dual Credit/concurrent enrollment classes follow the steps below:
- Talk to your high school counselor and state your interest in earning early college credit. Learn what classes are available for you to take at your high school.
- Create a Madison College student account.
- Enroll in your class using the Student Center.
- Attend your class at your high school.
High school teachers who wish to teach our classes in their high schools must meet the part-time faculty requirements as mandated by the Higher Learning Commision and Madison Area Technical College. These requirements will be posted as soon as the final documentation is completed.
Teachers may submit their application materials at any time during the year; however, applications will only be reviewed in the fall, with anticipated high school implementation the following fall. For example, teachers submit application fall of 2017 and the class, pending approval, will be implemented fall of 2018.
Dual Credit Classes
The courses below are approved for area high schools to be taught as a dual credit course. Remember that courses offered for dual credit vary by high school! The classes we offer at individual high schools are the high school's decision based on their curriculum needs and staff expertise. Check with your school counselor to talk over your early college credit opportunities.
Courses currently being offered for dual credit:
- Biotechnology Applications
- Biotechnology Career Seminar
- College and Career Readiness
- College Success
- Elementary Algebra with Applications
- Exploring Hospitality
- Fashion Analysis
- Fundamentals of Construction
- Health Care Career Exploration
- Introduction to College Writing
- College Reading Strategies
- Introduction to CAD - Architecture
- A+ Hardware Essentials
- Machine Tool
- Medical Terminology
- Oral & Interpersonal Communication
- Principles of Sanitation
- Principles of Sustainable Soil and Crop Management
- Principles of Animal Science and Management
- Selling Principles