Financial Aid Office

Truax A1000
Enrollment Center
1701 Wright Street
Madison WI 53704

CALL: (608) 246-6170
FAX: (608) 243-4245


Special Service Hours
Monday, Jan. 15: CLOSED for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Tuesday, Jan. 16 – Thursday, Jan 18: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 19 – 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Monday - Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. 
Wednesday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 
Friday: 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.  

Monday - Thursday: 8:15 a.m. - 4 p.m. 
Friday: 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Financial Aid Grants

Grants are sometimes referred to as "gift aid," since they do not have to be repaid as long as you attend all of your scheduled classes. To determine if you qualify for grants, you must complete the Financial Aid Application Process, beginning with submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your eligibility is determined based on your financial need, which is the difference between your cost of attending Madison College and your expected family contribution, which is calculated based on the information you provide on the FAFSA. Grants may also have individual requirements. Funding for some grants is limited, so you are encouraged to apply for financial aid prior to the April 15 priority deadline.

Federal Grants

Federal grants are not available for students who have already completed a bachelor's or professional degree program, including completing the equivalent academic program curriculum requirements.

Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education. Award amounts will vary based on your estimated family contribution (EFC) as determined by your FAFSA and your enrollment status. If you are not enrolled for the semester at the time of your initial award, the amount will be based on an anticipated full-time status. Financial aid awards are based on enrollment as of 4:30 p.m. on the Pell Recalculation Date for each semester.

Lifetime Pell Grant eligibility is limited to 12 semesters, or the equivalent. You can check your lifetime eligibility used (LEU) through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Learn more about this limit.

Some remedial courses may be considered for Pell Grant eligibility. This is based on recommendations from an academic advisor and completion of a Remedial Class Recommendation form.

Students with remaining Pell Grant eligibility at the end of the academic year may qualify for the Pell grant for summer. Learn more about summer financial aid.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is funded by the U.S. Department of Education. It is available to high-need students on the basis of financial need. To be eligible, you must be enrolled at half-time status (6 credits) and be eligible for a Pell Grant.

State Grants

There are many different sources of grant funding from the State of Wisconsin. Get more information about any of the state financial aid programs listed below from the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board.

  • Wisconsin Grant
  • Talent Incentive Grant (TIP)
  • Minority Undergraduate Retention Grant
  • Indian Student Assistance Grant
  • Hearing/Visually Handicapped Program
  • Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant

To be eligible for any of these grants, you must meet all of the following requirements and any others listed on the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board web page. You must:

  • Be a resident of the state of Wisconsin.
  • Have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent.
  • Be enrolled at least a half time (6 credits).
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program of study.
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if you are required to register.
  • Not exceed eligibility greater than ten semesters, unless otherwise specified.
  • Not be listed on the Department of Workforce Development’s statewide Child Support Lien Docket, unless you have an approved payment plan.