How long does it take to get my GED or HSED?
It will depend on what grade you dropped out of, how long it’s been since you were in school, and what you have been doing in that time. How much time you dedicate to studying for the tests will also affect the total time it takes to obtain your diploma. Some students can pass all four exams in one month, while other students will take a year or longer to finish.
Are keyboarding skills required to be successful on the GED tests?
Yes. Typing practice is recommended as part of the study plan for the GED tests.
What is a passing score on each test?
Each of the four tests is worth up to 200 points. A minimum score of 145 on each of the tests is required for passing. On the 100 question Civics test, you will need a passing score of 65. On the 90 question Health test, you will need a minimum passing score of 55.
How many retakes do I get if I don’t pass the first time?
Students are allowed to retest if needed. For the first two retakes, students must wait 10 days between testing times. For every additional retake, students must wait 60 days between testing.
Are accommodations available for the GED exams?
Yes, a range of accommodations are available based on the needs of candidates with disabilities. The need must be documented by a qualified medical professional. Accommodations may include, but are not limited to: extra time, a private room, frequent breaks, an interpreter, a scribe, a calculator, etc. Please contact the Testing Center for more information.
Who issues my GED or HSED Diploma?
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) issues all GED and HSED Diplomas and Transcripts.
What are the Five GED Content Areas?
What are the health requirements?
There are three options for meeting the additional HSED requirement:
- 1/2 credit of high school health (grades 7-12)
- Successful completion of health course
- Pass the health exam
About the Health Exam
- The testing session takes approximately 1.5 hours and costs $5. You must make an appointment for a session by calling the Testing Center at (608) 246-5220 and select option 3.
- Payment is made at the Testing Center - checks and money orders should be made payable to 'Madison College'. Cash payments are not accepted.
- Bring a valid photo ID to this session.
- There is a 60-day waiting period before retesting is allowed.
Can I take the GED test in Spanish?
Yes! Look at your options here.