Visit us on Facebook to learn more about our Civil Engineering Technology.
Civil Engineering Technology
Associate Degree in Applied Science
Civil engineers design and build important parts of our infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, dams and water supply systems. As a student in Madison College's Civil Engineering Technology program, you will train to assist engineers and land surveyors in:
- Planning: Determine the scope of the project, what data will be required to complete the project, the most appropriate technique to gather the required data, and review agencies that will be involved in the project.
- Scheduling: Determine the schedule of the design and construction phases of a project, prepare for public meetings and identify meeting dates.
- Designing: Use design software to prepare plans for transportation projects, municipal sewer and water projects, and land development projects.
- Estimating: Perform estimates of quantities used in a project, as well as the expected cost of engineering projects.
- Surveying: Perform field surveys for design and construction of engineering projects, land developments and retracement surveys, including route surveys, topographic surveys and subdivision surveys.
- Observing and Inspecting Construction: Observe the construction of highways, bridges, buildings and other structures to ensure they are constructed in accordance with the engineers' plan, as well as perform material testing to ensure materials are in accordance with design specifications.
Madison Area Technical College's Civil Engineering Technology offers an affordable track toward earning a bachelor's in science in Broad Fields Natural Science at Edgewood College. Learn about your transfer options.
Students in the Civil Engineering Technology program can attend full time.
Civil Engineering Technology program classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
Explore financial aid eligibility for Civil Engineering Technology.
All courses for this program are offered only in person.
- View the admission requirements for application deadlines, materials and requirements.
- Attend an Academic Information Session to get started in the admission process.
- Visit MATC to learn more about the Madison College experience, including campus tours and program open houses.
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at MATC.
Contact the Enrollment Center at EnrollmentServices@madisoncollege.edu or (608) 246-6210.
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2019-2020 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.10-607-1202 credits10-607-1252 credits10-607-1492 credits10-607-1553 credits10-804-1073 credits10-809-1993 credits10-607-1473 credits10-607-1563 credits10-607-1602 credits10-607-1782 credits10-607-1931 credits10-801-1953 credits10-809-1953 credits10-607-1402 credits10-607-1482 credits10-607-1583 credits10-607-1722 credits10-607-1772 credits10-801-1973 creditsElective3 Credits10-607-1333 credits10-607-1613 credits10-607-1712 credits10-607-1792 credits10-607-1822 creditsElective3 Credits
MATC's Civil Engineering Technology program graduates are prepared to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively in oral and written format.
- Apply civil engineering design principles to all facets of planning an engineering project.
- Demonstrate and apply fundamental surveying skills.
- Operate technical computer software, hardware and instruments to perform civil engineering procedures.
- Perform fundamental construction materials tests.
- Demonstrate professional work ethics and positive interpersonal skills in the workplace.
- Assume responsibility for continuing education to remain current in the civil engineering profession.
Earning your associate degree in applied science in the Civil Engineering Technology program at Madison Area Technical College prepares you for valuable work as:
- Civil Engineering Technician
- Construction Inspector
- Land Survey Technician
- CAD Technician
- GIS Technician
- Materials Testing Technician
- Construction Estimator
Estimated Program Cost
# of Credits for Completion58Tuition$7917.00Materials/Supplemental Costs$1020.92Other Costs$0.00Total Estimated Program Costs:
(book costs not included)$8937.92
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2016 2017 2018 Number of Program Graduates 10 14 7 Number of Surveys Sent 10 14 7 Number of Surveys Returned 9 10 5 Percent of Surveys Returned 90.00% 71.40% 71.40% Available for Employment 8 9 4 Percent Available for Employment 88.90% 90.00% 80.00% Not in Labor Market 1 1 1 Percent Not in Labor Market 11.10% 10.00% 20.00% Available for Employment
2016 2017 2018 Graduates Employed 8 8 3 Percent of Graduates Employed 100.00% 88.90% 75.00% Employed in Related Occupation 7 8 3 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 87.50% 100.00% 100.00% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 1 0 0 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 12.50% 0.00% 0.00% Employed - No Response 0 0 0 Percent Employed - No Response 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Seeking Employment 0 1 1 Percent Seeking Employment 0.00% 11.10% 25.00% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.1 3.2 3.4 Number of Satisfaction Responses 9 10 5 Very Satisfied 3 2 2 Percent Very Satisfied 33.30% 20.00% 40.00% Satisfied 5 8 3 Percent Satisfied 55.60% 80.00% 60.00% Unsatisfied 0 0 0 Percent Unsatisfied 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Very Unsatisfied 1 0 0 Percent Very Unsatisfied 11.10% 0.00% 0.00% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Number of Primary Reason Responses 9 10 5 Preparation for Getting a Job 3 2 4 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 33.30% 20.00% 80.00% Career Change 4 4 1 Percent Career Change 44.40% 40.00% 20.00% Improvement of Existing Skills 1 2 0 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 11.10% 20.00% 0.00% Preparation for Further Education 1 2 0 Percent Preparation for Further Education 11.10% 20.00% 0.00% Personal Interest 0 0 0 Percent Personal Interest 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Other 0 0 0 Percent Other 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% When Employment was Obtained
2016 2017 2018 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 8 8 3 Before Enrollment 0 3 0 Percent Before Enrollment 0.00% 37.50% 0.00% While Attending the College 6 2 0 Percent While Attending the College 75.00% 25.00% 0.00% After Training at the College 2 3 3 Percent After Training at the College 25.00% 37.50% 100.00% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2016 2017 2018 Number of Employment Location Responses 8 8 3 In College District 6 6 1 Percent In College District 75.00% 75.00% 33.30% In Wisconsin, Not in District 1 2 2 Percent of In Wisconsin 12.50% 25.00% 66.70% Outside of Wisconsin 0 0 0 Percent Outside Wisconsin 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Employer Location Unknown 1 0 0 Percent Location Unknown 12.50% 0.00% 0.00% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2016 2017 2018 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 5 6 3 Average Monthly Wage $2,984 $3,661 $3,425 Average Hourly Wage $17.35 $21.29 $19.91 Average Work Hours per Week 41.9 43.9 43.3 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 1 Average Hourly Wage $15.00 Average Work Hours per Week 20
Total Positions Open for academic year: 2018 Wisconsin TechConnectTM Jobs* Madison Non-Madison Number of Full Time Positions Open 73 152 Number of Part Time Positions Open 22 39 Total Jobs 95 191 Graduate Employers for academic year: 2018 Employer(s) Job Title City** State*** Positions Combs & Associates CAD Drafter Janesville Excel Engineering Civil Engineer Technician Fond Du Lac Mi-Tech Survey Technician
* - Wisconsin TechConnectTM jobs are posted through a statewide consortium operated and funded by all 16 of the technical colleges in Wisconsin.
** - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
*** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
**** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at email@example.com