The Accounting Assistant technical diploma program at Madison College provides you with the skills and confidence necessary to perform entry-level bookkeeping and accounting work for local employers.
As an accounting assistant, you can work in a small business and be responsible for all aspects of bookkeeping or work in a larger firm under the supervision of an accountant and specialize in a certain area.
Students in the Accounting Assistant program can attend full or part time.
Accounting Assistant classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
- Fort Atkinson
Earning your Accounting Assistant diploma at Madison College prepares you for valuable work as:
- Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerk
- Billing Clerk
- Bookkeeper/Payroll Clerk
- Inventory Control Clerk
- Office Assistant
With additional education and/or work experience, graduates may find employment as:
- Bookkeeping Supervisor
- Office Manager
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2022-2023 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.First SemesterSecond Semester
Earning a degree is a great way to advance your career development opportunities, so apply today!
International students who wish to apply for, maintain, or transfer their F-1 student visa status to Madison College are required to complete the International Admission Process.
Note: It is recommended to only apply for a semester that has already started if you are currently enrolled in classes or you have verified that classes are still available for that semester.
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is November 15, 2022
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is April 15, 2023
- Application opens on September 15, 2022
- Application completion deadline is July 15, 2023
- Application opens on September 15, 2022
- Application completion deadline is November 15, 2023
- Application opens on February 1, 2023
- Application completion deadline is April 15, 2024
All materials must be submitted by the application deadline.
1. Admission Application
The online application allows you to save your work as you complete it and ensures fast, secure delivery to our office.
2. Education Completion
Students must submit official transcripts for one of the following:
- High school (current high school seniors may submit an in-progress transcript)
- GED/HSED transcript
- College transcript(s) showing completion of an associate degree or higher
- Note: Effective with the 2023-2024 year, this may be fulfilled with at least 30 credits completed with a minimum GPA of 2.0
All high school and/or college transcripts are recommended to be submitted for Credit for Prior Learning evaluation.
- Class capacity is limited and is available on a first come, first served basis.
- Course prerequisites differ from admission requirements; admission into a program does not guarantee eligibility to enroll in courses or success in the program. Refer to program curriculum for details.
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at Madison College.
After completing the Accounting Assistant program at Madison Area Technical College, you will be able to:
- Understand types of business organizations and their internal control structures.
- Analyze and record financial transactions in a manual and computerized general ledger system.
- Prepare financial statements according to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Utilize current income tax resources to prepare personal income tax returns.
- Process payroll transactions in accordance with current payroll reporting requirements.
- Complete accounting cycle tasks using general ledger accounting software.
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2019 2020 2021 Number of Program Graduates 57 74 56 Number of Surveys Sent 57 74 56 Number of Surveys Returned 29 30 42 Percent of Surveys Returned 50.90% 40.50% 75.00% Available for Employment 18 27 31 Percent Available for Employment 90.00% 90.00% 91.20% Not in Labor Market 11 2 11 Percent Not in Labor Market 55.00% 6.70% 32.40% Available for Employment
2019 2020 2021 Graduates Employed 15 23 29 Percent of Graduates Employed 83.30% 85.20% 93.50% Employed in Related Occupation 7 9 22 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 46.70% 39.10% 75.90% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 7 12 7 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 46.70% 52.20% 24.10% Employed - No Response 1 2 0 Percent Employed - No Response 6.70% 8.70% 0.00% Seeking Employment 3 4 2 Percent Seeking Employment 16.70% 14.80% 6.50% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2019 2020 2021 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.5 3.5 3.4 Number of Satisfaction Responses 20 29 34 Very Satisfied (4) 10 16 20 Percent Very Satisfied 50.00% 55.20% 58.80% Satisfied (3) 10 12 11 Percent Satisfied 50.00% 41.40% 32.40% Unsatisfied (2) 0 0 1 Percent Unsatisfied 0.00% 0.00% 2.90% Very Unsatisfed (1) 0 1 2 Percent Very Unsatisfied 0.00% 3.40% 5.90% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2019 2020 2021 Number of Primary Reason Responses 29 30 42 Preparation for Getting a Job 7 10 15 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 24.10% 33.30% 35.70% Career Change 5 13 8 Percent Career Change 17.20% 43.30% 19.00% Improvement of Existing Skills 5 6 8 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 17.20% 20.00% 19.00% Preparation for Further Education 11 1 9 Percent Preparation for Further Education 37.90% 3.30% 21.40% Personal Interest 0 0 2 Percent Personal Interest 0.00% 0.00% 4.80% Other 1 0 0 Percent Other 3.40% 0.00% 0.00% When Employment was Obtained
2019 2020 2021 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 14 21 29 Before Enrollment 6 5 8 Percent Before Enrollment 42.90% 23.80% 27.60% While Attending the College 5 14 10 Percent While Attending the College 35.70% 66.70% 34.50% After Training at the College 3 2 11 Percent After Training at the College 21.40% 9.50% 37.90% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2019 2020 2021 Number of Employment Location Responses 15 24 29 In College District 12 20 26 Percent In College District 80.00% 83.30% 89.70% In Wisconsin, Not in District 2 1 2 Percent of In Wisconsin 13.30% 4.20% 6.90% Outside of Wisconsin 1 1 1 Percent Outside Wisconsin 6.70% 4.20% 3.40% Employer Location Unknown 0 2 0 Percent Location Unknown 0.00% 8.30% 0.00% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2019 2020 2021 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 4 7 18 Average Monthly Wage $3,844 $3,387 $4,055 Average Hourly Wage $22.35 $19.69 $23.58 Average Work Hours per Week 41.6 40.9 41.6 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 2 1 4 Average Hourly Wage $14.00 $14.00 $17.25 Average Work Hours per Week 29 26 21.8
Graduate Employers for academic year: 2021 Employer(s) Job Title City* State** Positions 1-128 Infantry Battalion Battalion Supply NCO Eau Claire AJ Restaurant Accounting LLC Financial Accountant Apel Associates Accounting & Payroll Manager Prairie Du Sac Baker Tilly Accounting Assistant Carol A Valley CPA SC Tax Preparer Columbus Deja Food LLC Bookkeeper Easton Motors Staff Accountant Portage Frazer Consultants Staff Accountant Middleton Kane CPA Accountant Fitchburg Kollath CPA Associate Accountant Mad City Windows & Bath Staff Accountant Mad City Windows & Bath Accounts Receivable Specialist Miller, Brussel, Ebben & Gioeske LLC Accountant Portage Network Cabling Solutions Director Of Operations Middleton Orange Tree Imports Bookkeeper PPi Payment Specialist Verona Regent Mental Health Clinical Manager S&L Companies Accountant Portage Trek Bicycle Accounts Payable Specialist Waterloo Village Of Sauk City Accounts Payable Specialist Sauk
* - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
*** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Service Hours
- Monday – Wednesday: 9 am - 3 pm In-Person, 8 am - 4 pm Virtual
- Thursday: 8 am - 4 pm Virtual Only
- Friday: 8 am - 12 pm Virtual Only