In this section
- Regular Program: Admission Requirements
- Regular Program: Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 Petition Requirements
- Regular Program: Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Petition Requirements
- Accelerated Program: Admission Requirements
- Accelerated Program: Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 Petition Requirements
- Accelerated Program: Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Petition Requirements
- Essential Functions
- Medical Laboratory Technician Program Effectiveness Data
Medical Laboratory Technician
Associate Degree in Applied Science
Madison College's Medical Laboratory Technician program combines fundamental laboratory techniques and clinical experience, preparing graduates for work in laboratories serving the health care sector. Medical Laboratory Technicians are an integral part of the healthcare field, collecting samples and performing tests to analyze body fluids, tissue and other substances.
The Medical Laboratory Technician program is offered in two formats: the regular five-semester program and an accelerated format.
The accelerated program begins in early August and concludes the following June. Successful students have all required general education support classes completed prior to beginning the accelerated core classes. The accelerated curriculum is offered online. Students come to campus every Thursday evening and many Saturdays to complete the lab portion of the Medical Laboratory Technician program.
Please note that after acceptance to the Medical Laboratory Technician program, you will be required to complete a background check and provide documentation of current required-immunizations and current Healthcare Provider CPR certification.
Wisconsin law requires background checks for persons who provide care for others or have access to people who receive care. This law applies to students in many School of Health Education programs. Please review the Caregiver Background Check information on the School of Health Education Forms and Policies.
The Medical Laboratory Technician is offered full time or in an accelerated format.
Classes are offered Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Medical Laboratory Technician program classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Traux
Explore financial aid eligibility for this program.
Some of the courses for this program may be available online.Medical Laboratory Technicianhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB3KIprwyys
Students need to complete the petition process to get into core-program classes for this program. Before submitting an application, it’s important to review the Petition Process webpage which also includes estimated wait times for each program.
- View the admission requirements for application deadlines, materials and requirements.
- Attend an Academic Information Session to get started in the admission process.
- Visit MATC to learn more about the Madison College experience including campus tours and program open houses.
Once you have been accepted in a pre-program status, your next step is to complete the petition requirements.
- Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 Medical Laboratory Technician Regular Program Petition Requirements
- Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Medical Laboratory Technician Regular Program Petition Requirements
- Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 Medical Laboratory Technician Accelerated Program Petition Requirements
- Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 Medical Laboratory Technician Accelerated Program Petition Requirements
Contact Enrollment Services at EnrollmentServices@madisoncollege.edu or (608) 246-6210.
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2019-2020 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.10-513-1101 credits10-513-1112 credits10-513-1131 credits10-513-1142 credits20-806-2064 credits20-806-2015 credits10-801-1953 credits10-513-1152 credits10-513-1203 credits10-513-1211 credits10-513-1094 credits10-801-1983 credits20-806-2735 credits20-806-2745 credits10-809-1973 credits10-809-1993 credits10-513-1302 credits10-513-1164 credits10-513-1334 credits10-513-1702 creditsElective2 credits10-513-1402 credits10-513-1412 credits10-513-1513 credits10-513-1524 credits10-513-1531 credits
Madison College's Medical Laboratory Technician program serves to offer an associate degree designed for entry-level positions as a medical laboratory technician, to prepare students to successfully take national certification examinations, and to be successful medical laboratory professionals.
After completing the Medical Laboratory Technician program at Madison Area Technical College, you will be prepared to:
- Practice laboratory safety and regulatory compliance
- Collect and process biological specimens
- Monitor and evaluate quality control in the laboratory
- Apply modern clinical methodologies including problem solving and troubleshooting according to predetermined criteria
- Correlate laboratory results to diagnosis of clinical conditions and/or disease
- Perform information processing in the clinical laboratory
- Model professional behaviors, ethics, and appearance
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance of equipment and instruments according to predetermined criteria
- Perform and report results of the clinical laboratory tests
- Communicate with colleagues and patients in a professional manner
- Participate in training peers on technical skills
Graduates of this program qualify for the American Society of Clinical Pathologists Board of Certification Exam for MLT (ASCP).
Madison College's Medical Laboratory Technician program 2017 graduate Board of Certification pass rate: 100%.
Madison College's Medical Laboratory Technician program 2017 graduation and attrition rates: 11% attrition, 85% graduation in two years.
(Final submitted by Mary Nelson 10/18/04. Revised 4/27/06. State Wide Curriculum revised 11/2012).
Earning your associate degree in the Medical Laboratory Technician program at Madison Area Technical College prepares you for valuable work as a:
- Medical Laboratory Technician: performing routine laboratory tests on blood, urine, and body fluids to help in the diagnosis and treatment of disease and injury in a hospital, clinic laboratory, or reference laboratory.
- Laboratory Technician/Research Assistant: performing routine and special laboratory tests in a variety of laboratory settings, including research, industrial, environmental and food science labs
With additional training and/or work experience, graduates may find employment as:
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Medical Technologist)
- Medical Microbiologist
- Laboratory Computer Sales or Training Specialist
- Laboratory Sales/Product Representative
- Instrument Service Technician
- Quality Control Officer
- Biomedical Instrument Specialist
- Clinical Research Associate
- Safety Officer
- Laboratory Science Instructor/Trainer
Estimated Program Cost
# of Credits for Completion66Tuition$9682.40Materials/Supplemental Costs$2319.88Other Costs$248.00Total Estimated Program Costs:
(book costs not included)$12250.28
Total Positions Open for academic year: 2018 Wisconsin TechConnectTM Jobs* Madison Non-Madison Number of Full Time Positions Open 38 110 Number of Part Time Positions Open 22 76 Total Jobs 60 186 Graduate Employers for academic year: 2018 Employer(s) Job Title City** State*** Positions Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Medical Technologist Chicago IL Associated Podiatrists Medical Laboratory Technician Covance Laboratories, Inc Senior Sample Collection Technician Fort Health & Rehabilitation Medical Laboratory Technician Fort Atkinson 2 Mercy Health System Medical Laboratory Technician Janesville Prairie Clinic SC Medical Lab Technician Sauk City SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital Clinical Lab Technologist SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital Clinical Laboratory Technician SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital Medical Lab Technician SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital Medical Laboratory Technician UW Health Hospital & Clinics Medical Laboratory Technician Watertown Memorial Hospital Medical Laboratory Technician Watertown
* - Wisconsin TechConnectTM jobs are posted through a statewide consortium operated and funded by all 16 of the technical colleges in Wisconsin.
** - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
*** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
**** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at email@example.com
Madison College's Medical Laboratory Technician program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (5600 N River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018; 773-714-8880).
2017 100% Board of Certification pass rate
2018 95.24% Board of Certification pass rate
2019 93.75% Board of Certification pass rate