70% of our recent graduates got a job in the industry.
97% of our recent graduates report they are satisfied with their Madison College education.
Our recent graduates of this program reported an average starting salary of $30,600.
The Nursing Assistant program at Madison College prepares students for employment as nursing assistants. Students learn:
- Communication skills
- Basic nursing and personal care skills
- Client rights
- Care of clients with dementia
Please note that prior to registration, you will be required to complete a background check and provide documentation of current required immunizations. Please see the Admission tab for details about these registration requirements.
The program is approved by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services as a nurse aide training program.
This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
Nursing Assistant classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
- Madison - South
- Fort Atkinson
100 percent attendance is mandatory for all portions of this course. Please disregard any statements that portions of this course are optional.
Be sure to understand the essential functions necessary for Nursing Assistant courses.
All registration requirements listed below must be complete, prior to enrolling in a Nursing Assistant course.
1. Create a Madison College Student Account (if you do not already have one).
After creating your student account, activate your myMadisonCollege login; this gives you access to your Student Center and Blackboard accounts.
2. Demonstrate Reading Comprehension Requirement by ONE of the following:
- Placement Testing (official scores from one of the following, within the last two years): COMPASS-Reading 60, Accuplacer Reading-60, Next Generation Accuplacer, 240, Reading ASSET-Reading 35, or ACT-Reading 13
- College-level English course with a grade of C or better. If you completed your English course at another college, you must submit official transcripts.
- Final grade of C or better in Academic Reading 5/6 or College Reading Strategies or Intro College Reading & Study Skills
- Official transcripts reflecting completion of two-year Technical Diploma, associate degree, or higher
Questions on how to submit your transcripts or test scores? Please contact our Enrollment Center at (608) 246-6210.
Need ESL support? Please contact the School of Academic Advancement at (608) 246-2378.
3. Background Check and Health Screening
- Purchase and create an account on CastleBranch, using Package Code MJ17. The cost for the background check and health screening document manager is $68.00 (subject to change).
Note: you do not need to purchase the $12 ID card that is offered.
- Print and complete the Background Information Disclosure Form. Learn more about the background check process.
- Refer to the Nursing Assistant Program Health Requirements Checklist (also found within your CastleBranch account). Use this document to complete the mandatory health requirements.
Note: depending on your vaccination history, you may need updated immunizations or titers (blood draws) to demonstrate your immunity. Tuberculosis (TB) testing may take up to four clinic visits.
- Scan, save and upload your complete Background Information Disclosure (BID) and Health Screening forms to your CastleBranch account; be sure to include any supporting lab reports or immunization documentation. For assistance with scanning and uploading your documents, please visit any campus library.
- Health/accident insurance is required to take this course. If you do not have your own comprehensive health insurance, you may purchase student accident insurance. The accident insurance is $23/semester.
- After uploading the required documents, be sure to check your email account for any 'to do' messages from CastleBranch. Read your background check results carefully.
Questions on the status of your documents? Please contact CastleBranch at (888) 666-7788.
- When all requirements in your CastleBranch account are marked complete, you will receive an email notifying you are approved to register. If you receive a rejection on your Influenza immunization, please contact the School of Nursing.
- Log in to the Blackboard course site at least three days prior to your first day of class to familiarize yourself
- You are not allowed to miss any class, lab or clinical time. Do not register for a course if you expect any absences.
- Purchase your textbook and Nursing Assistant Supply Kit from the bookstore or regional campus front office, no later than the first day of class.
- Solid-color scrubs and clean impermeable shoes are required for lab and clinical.
- If you need to drop the course, you must do so before the first day to receive a full refund.
- You must be at least 16 years of age prior to the first day of class. Some clinical sites require you to be 17 or 18 years old; this will be noted in course details.
In high school? If you are taking a nursing assistant course through your high school or through Start College Now, there are additional steps to this process. Please see your school representative for more information. All requirements listed above are still required prior to enrollment.
Questions about Start College Now? Please contact Early College Programs and Partnerships at (608) 243-4595.
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2020-2021 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.
Upon successful completion of the Nursing Assistant program, students are eligible for competency testing for the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry. Placement on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry is required for employment.
Students who successfully complete the Nursing Assistant course will be prepared to:
- Communicate and interact effectively with clients, family and co-workers.
- Provide care that shows recognition of client rights and the role of state and federal agencies regarding abuse, neglect and misappropriation.
- Report and record observations promptly and accurately to proper persons.
- Incorporate into practice the ethical and legal responsibilities of the NA/HHA.
- Provide safe care to a diverse population, meeting personal, physical and psychosocial client needs.
- Assist with client rehabilitation and restorative care, promoting independence.
- Provide for resident personal care and hygiene.
- Assist clients with long-term, disabling conditions including dementia, always focusing on the strengths of the client.
- Care for clients under licensed supervision.
- Take the WI NA Competency evaluation.
Graduates of the Nursing Assistant program at Madison Area Technical College can seek employment as the following:
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Nursing Assistant
- Nurse Aide
- Home Health Aide
- Psychiatric Aide
Upon successful competency testing, Nursing Assistants may find employment in:
- Nursing Homes
- Home Health Agencies
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2017 2018 2019 Number of Program Graduates 789 671 629 Number of Surveys Sent 785 670 621 Number of Surveys Returned 557 430 421 Percent of Surveys Returned 71.00% 64.20% 67.80% Available for Employment 376 277 282 Percent Available for Employment 67.50% 64.40% 67.00% Not in Labor Market 173 153 134 Percent Not in Labor Market 31.10% 35.60% 31.80% Available for Employment
2017 2018 2019 Graduates Employed 349 261 260 Percent of Graduates Employed 92.80% 94.20% 92.20% Employed in Related Occupation 233 175 182 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 66.80% 67.00% 70.00% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 111 81 74 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 31.80% 31.00% 28.50% Employed - No Response 5 5 4 Percent Employed - No Response 1.40% 1.90% 1.50% Seeking Employment 27 16 22 Percent Seeking Employment 7.20% 5.80% 7.80% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2017 2018 2019 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.5 3.5 3.6 Number of Satisfaction Responses 499 342 338 Very Satisfied (4) 277 200 203 Percent Very Satisfied 55.50% 58.50% 60.10% Satisfied (3) 211 131 127 Percent Satisfied 42.30% 38.30% 37.60% Unsatisfied (2) 7 2 4 Percent Unsatisfied 1.40% 0.60% 1.20% Very Unsatisfed (1) 4 9 4 Percent Very Unsatisfied 0.80% 2.60% 1.20% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2017 2018 2019 Number of Primary Reason Responses 556 427 418 Preparation for Getting a Job 134 95 96 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 24.10% 22.20% 23.00% Career Change 42 35 32 Percent Career Change 7.60% 8.20% 7.70% Improvement of Existing Skills 27 14 10 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 4.90% 3.30% 2.40% Preparation for Further Education 328 265 263 Percent Preparation for Further Education 59.00% 62.10% 62.90% Personal Interest 24 14 12 Percent Personal Interest 4.30% 3.30% 2.90% Other 1 4 5 Percent Other 0.20% 0.90% 1.20% When Employment was Obtained
2017 2018 2019 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 343 237 253 Before Enrollment 107 60 77 Percent Before Enrollment 31.20% 25.30% 30.40% While Attending the College 67 51 54 Percent While Attending the College 19.50% 21.50% 21.30% After Training at the College 169 126 122 Percent After Training at the College 49.30% 53.20% 48.20% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2017 2018 2019 Number of Employment Location Responses 357 264 265 In College District 252 193 211 Percent In College District 70.60% 73.10% 79.60% In Wisconsin, Not in District 60 52 41 Percent of In Wisconsin 16.80% 19.70% 15.50% Outside of Wisconsin 7 7 6 Percent Outside Wisconsin 2.00% 2.70% 2.30% Employer Location Unknown 38 12 7 Percent Location Unknown 10.60% 4.50% 2.60% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2017 2018 2019 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 57 51 61 Average Monthly Wage $2,305 $2,463 $2,550 Average Hourly Wage $13.40 $14.32 $14.83 Average Work Hours per Week 40.8 41.8 40.5 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 144 102 96 Average Hourly Wage $13.30 $13.51 $14.28 Average Work Hours per Week 20.8 20.1 22.3
- Graduate Employers
Graduate Employers for academic year: 2019 Employer(s) Job Title City* State** Positions Academy for Little Learners Assistant Teacher Verona Agrace HospiceCare Caregiver Fitchburg Agrace HospiceCare Certified Nursing Assistant Fitchburg 2 Alden Estates Of Jefferson Certified Nursing Assistant Jefferson 4 Alden Estates Of Jefferson Executive Aide Jefferson American Family Children's Hospital Health Unit Coordinator At Home Again Assisted Living Resident Assistant Columbus Attic Angel Place Certified Nursing Assistant Middleton 2 Attic Angel Place Nurse Assistant Middleton Attic Angel Place Nursing Assistant Middleton Bethesda Lutheran Homes & Services Direct Support Person Watertown Brightstar Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Brightstar Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo Brightstar Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Portage Brightstar Healthcare Home Health Aide Brookfield Gardens Assisted Living Resident Care Associate Brookfield Capitol Lakes Retirement Community Certified Nursing Assistant 3 Capitol Lakes Retirement Community Resident Assistant Cedar Crest Nursing Home Certified Nursing Assistant Janesville Cedarcrest Retirement Living Certified Nursing Assistant Janesville Columbia County Health Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Wyocena 2 Community Living Alliance Home Care Specialist Community Living Alliance Personal Care Worker Consumer Direct Certified Nursing Assistant Nashotah Cottage Care Circle Certified Nursing Assistant Mauston Cottonwood Creek Healthcare Community Certified Nursing Assistant Richardson TX Cumberland Consulting Group Support Analyst Delavan Health Services Certified Nursing Assistant Delavan Divine Savior Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Portage 6 Edgerton Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Edgerton Elderspan Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo Fairhaven Retirement Community Certified Nursing Assistant Whitewater 8 Fairhaven Retirement Community Resident Assistant Whitewater Fort Health & Rehabilitation Labor & Delivery Technician Fort Atkinson Fountain Head Homes Certified Nursing Assistant DeForest Good Sam's Nursing Home Certified Nursing Assistant Lodi Ingleside Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Certified Nursing Assistant Mount Horeb Karin Ace Certified Nursing Assistant Mt Horeb Lake Country Landing Caregiver Oconomowoc Lake Mills Health Services Certified Nursing Assistant Lake Mills Maplewood Nursing Home Certified Nursing Assistant Sauk City 7 Mariner Health Care Director of Business Development Palm Springs CA Marquardt Memorial Manor Certified Nursing Assistant Watertown 3 McCarthy's Nursing Assistant Stoughton Mendota Mental Health Institute Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant Mercy Health System Certified Nursing Assistant Janesville Miravida Living Certified Nursing Assistant Oshkosh MTILP Inc Certified Nursing Assistant Nazareth Health & Rehabilitation Center Certified Nursing Assistant Stoughton 3 Noel Manor Residential Aide Verona Oak Park Place of Madison Certified Nursing Assistant 3 Oakwood Village Certified Nursing Assistant 7 Oregon Manor Nursing Home Certified Nursing Assistant Oregon Our House Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo Parkside Assisted Living Certified Nursing Assistant DeForest Prairie Gardens Assisted Living Certified Nursing Assistant Sun Prairie Private Individual Caregiver Deerfield Private Individual Certified Nursing Assistant Stoughton Reedsburg Area Medical Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg Reedsburg Area Medical Center Patient Registration/Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg Reedsburg Area Senior Life Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg Reena Home Health Aide Fort Atkinson Sauk County Health Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg 4 Sauk County Health Care Center Enviromental Services Supervisor Reedsburg Sauk Prairie Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Prairie du Sac Sienna Crest Caregiver/Certified Nursing Assistant Marshall Sonrisas Senior Citizen Care Resident Assistant Verona SSM Health At Home Medical Assistant St Clare Hospital & Health Services Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo 4 St Mary's / Dean Ventures Certified Nursing Assistant 4 St Mary's Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant St Peter's Daycare Daycare Teacher Reedsburg Stoughton Meadows Certified Nursing Assistant Stoughton Tennyson Senior Living Certified Nursing Assistant Texas Roadhouse Server Janesville The Meadows Certified Nursing Assistant Spring Green United Migrant Opportunity Service Health Service Worker Montello Unity Point Health-Meriter Certified Nursing Assistant 4 Unity Point Health-Meriter Nursing Assistant Upland Hills Health Center Certified Nursing Assistant Dodgeville UW Health Certified Nursing Assistant 4 UW Health Nursing Assistant 8 UW Health Patient Care Technician UW Health Patient Transporter UW Health Phlebotomist UW Health Hospital & Clinics Receptionist Monona UW Health West Clinic Medical Assistant UW Health West Towne Clinic Certified Medical Assistant UW Hospital Nursing Assistant Watertown Memorial Hospital Certified Medical Assistant Watertown Watertown Memorial Hospital Certified Nursing Assistant Watertown 2 Watertown Memorial Hospital Patient Care Partner Watertown Waunakee Manor Health Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Waunakee 3 Wellington Meadows Certified Nursing Assistant Fort Atkinson Wisconsin Fertility Institute Certified Nursing Assistant Middleton WorldWide Travel Staffing Certified Nursing Assistant Tonawanda NY YMCA Childcare
* - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
*** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org