The Nursing Assistant program at Madison College prepares students for employment as nursing assistants. Students learn:
- Communication skills
- Basic nursing and personal care skills
- Client rights
- Care of clients with dementia
Please note that prior to registration, you will be required to complete a background check and provide documentation of current required immunizations. Please see the Admission tab for details about these registration requirements.
The program is approved by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services as a nurse aide training program.
This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
Nursing Assistant classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
- Madison - South
- Fort Atkinson
100 percent attendance is mandatory for all portions of this course. Please disregard any statements that portions of this course are optional.This course may be available in hybrid format.
Be sure to understand the essential functions necessary for Nursing Assistant courses.
All registration requirements listed below must be complete, prior to enrolling in a Nursing Assistant course.
1. Create a Madison College Student Account (if you do not already have one).
After creating your student account, activate your myMadisonCollege login; this gives you access to your Student Center and Blackboard accounts.
2. Demonstrate Reading Comprehension Requirement by ONE of the following:
- Placement Testing (official scores from one of the following, within the last two years): COMPASS-Reading 60, Accuplacer Reading-60, Next Generation Accuplacer, 245, Reading ASSET-Reading 35, or ACT-Reading 13
- College-level English course with a grade of C or better. If you completed your English course at another college, you must submit official transcripts.
- Final grade of C or better in Academic Reading 5/6 or College Reading Strategies or Intro College Reading & Study Skills
- Official transcripts reflecting completion of two-year Technical Diploma, associate degree, or higher
Questions on how to submit your transcripts or test scores? Please contact our Enrollment Center at (608) 246-6210.
Need ESL support? Please contact the School of Academic Advancement at (608) 246-2378.
3. Background Check and Health Screening
- Purchase and create an account on CastleBranch, using Package Code MJ17. The cost for the background check and health screening document manager is $68.00 (subject to change).
Note: you do not need to purchase the $12 ID card that is offered.
- Print and complete the Background Information Disclosure Form. Learn more about the background check process.
- Refer to the Nursing Assistant Program Health Requirements Checklist (also found within your CastleBranch account). Use this document to complete the mandatory health requirements.
Note: depending on your vaccination history, you may need updated immunizations or titers (blood draws) to demonstrate your immunity. Tuberculosis (TB) testing may take up to four clinic visits.
- Scan, save and upload your complete Background Information Disclosure (BID) and Health Screening forms to your CastleBranch account; be sure to include any supporting lab reports or immunization documentation. For assistance with scanning and uploading your documents, please visit any campus library.
- Health/accident insurance is required to take this course. If you do not have your own comprehensive health insurance, you may purchase student accident insurance. The accident insurance is $23/semester.
- After uploading the required documents, be sure to check your email account for any 'to do' messages from CastleBranch. Read your background check results carefully.
Questions on the status of your documents? Please contact CastleBranch at (888) 666-7788.
- When all requirements in your CastleBranch account are marked complete, you will receive an email notifying you are approved to register. If you receive a rejection on your Influenza immunization, please contact the School of Health Education.
- Log in to the Blackboard course site at least three days prior to your first day of class to familiarize yourself
- You are not allowed to miss any class, lab or clinical time. Do not register for a course if you expect any absences.
- Purchase your textbook and Nursing Assistant Supply Kit from the bookstore or regional campus front office, no later than the first day of class.
- Solid-color scrubs and clean impermeable shoes are required for lab and clinical.
- If you need to drop the course, you must do so before the first day to receive a full refund.
- You must be at least 16 years of age prior to the first day of class. Some clinical sites require you to be 17 or 18 years old; this will be noted in course details.
In high school? If you are taking a nursing assistant course through your high school or through Start College Now, there are additional steps to this process. Please see your school representative for more information. All requirements listed above are still required prior to enrollment.
Questions about Start College Now? Please contact Early College Programs and Partnerships at (608) 243-4595.
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2020-2021 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.
Upon successful completion of the Nursing Assistant program, students are eligible for competency testing for the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry. Placement on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry is required for employment.
Students who successfully complete the Nursing Assistant course will be prepared to:
- Communicate and interact effectively with clients, family and co-workers.
- Provide care that shows recognition of client rights and the role of state and federal agencies regarding abuse, neglect and misappropriation.
- Report and record observations promptly and accurately to proper persons.
- Incorporate into practice the ethical and legal responsibilities of the NA/HHA.
- Provide safe care to a diverse population, meeting personal, physical and psychosocial client needs.
- Assist with client rehabilitation and restorative care, promoting independence.
- Provide for resident personal care and hygiene.
- Assist clients with long-term, disabling conditions including dementia, always focusing on the strengths of the client.
- Care for clients under licensed supervision.
- Take the WI NA Competency evaluation.
Graduates of the Nursing Assistant program at Madison Area Technical College can seek employment as the following:
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Nursing Assistant
- Nurse Aide
- Home Health Aide
- Psychiatric Aide
Upon successful competency testing, Nursing Assistants may find employment in:
- Nursing Homes
- Home Health Agencies
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2016 2017 2018 Number of Program Graduates 789 787 671 Number of Surveys Sent 788 785 670 Number of Surveys Returned 567 557 430 Percent of Surveys Returned 72.00% 71.00% 64.20% Available for Employment 411 376 277 Percent Available for Employment 82.00% 75.40% 80.50% Not in Labor Market 156 173 153 Percent Not in Labor Market 31.10% 34.70% 44.50% Available for Employment
2016 2017 2018 Graduates Employed 374 349 261 Percent of Graduates Employed 91.00% 92.80% 94.20% Employed in Related Occupation 249 233 175 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 66.60% 66.80% 67.00% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 120 111 81 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 32.10% 31.80% 31.00% Employed - No Response 5 5 5 Percent Employed - No Response 1.30% 1.40% 1.90% Seeking Employment 37 27 16 Percent Seeking Employment 9.00% 7.20% 5.80% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.5 3.5 3.5 Number of Satisfaction Responses 498 499 342 Very Satisfied 296 277 200 Percent Very Satisfied 59.40% 55.50% 58.50% Satisfied 182 211 131 Percent Satisfied 36.50% 42.30% 38.30% Unsatisfied 6 7 2 Percent Unsatisfied 1.20% 1.40% 0.60% Very Unsatisfied 14 4 9 Percent Very Unsatisfied 2.80% 0.80% 2.60% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Number of Primary Reason Responses 566 556 427 Preparation for Getting a Job 125 134 95 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 22.10% 24.10% 22.20% Career Change 57 42 35 Percent Career Change 10.10% 7.60% 8.20% Improvement of Existing Skills 13 27 14 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 2.30% 4.90% 3.30% Preparation for Further Education 340 328 265 Percent Preparation for Further Education 60.10% 59.00% 62.10% Personal Interest 31 24 14 Percent Personal Interest 5.50% 4.30% 3.30% Other 0 1 4 Percent Other 0.00% 0.20% 0.90% When Employment was Obtained
2016 2017 2018 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 368 343 237 Before Enrollment 103 107 60 Percent Before Enrollment 28.00% 31.20% 25.30% While Attending the College 60 67 51 Percent While Attending the College 16.30% 19.50% 21.50% After Training at the College 205 169 126 Percent After Training at the College 55.70% 49.30% 53.20% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2016 2017 2018 Number of Employment Location Responses 374 357 264 In College District 242 252 193 Percent In College District 64.70% 70.60% 73.10% In Wisconsin, Not in District 93 60 52 Percent of In Wisconsin 24.90% 16.80% 19.70% Outside of Wisconsin 6 7 7 Percent Outside Wisconsin 1.60% 2.00% 2.70% Employer Location Unknown 33 38 12 Percent Location Unknown 8.80% 10.60% 4.50% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2016 2017 2018 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 82 57 51 Average Monthly Wage $2,213 $2,305 $2,463 Average Hourly Wage $12.86 $13.40 $14.32 Average Work Hours per Week 40 40.8 41.8 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 146 144 102 Average Hourly Wage $13.04 $13.30 $13.51 Average Work Hours per Week 21 20.8 20.1
Total Positions Open for academic year: 2018 Wisconsin TechConnectTM Jobs* Madison Non-Madison Number of Full Time Positions Open 595 2,139 Number of Part Time Positions Open 952 3,265 Total Jobs 1,547 5,404 Graduate Employers for academic year: 2018 Employer(s) Job Title City** State*** Positions Advantage Bookkeeping & Graphic Design Certified Nursing Assistant Sun Prairie Aerotek CNA Home Health Aide Agrace HospiceCare Certified Nursing Assistant Fitchburg 2 Agrace HospiceCare Nursing Assistant Fitchburg Alden Estates Of Jefferson Certified Nursing Assistant Jefferson American Family Children's Hospital Certified Nursing Assistant Angels Grace Hospice Certified Nursing Assistant Oconomowoc Angels Loving Care Certified Nursing Assistant Columbus At Home Again Resident Assistant Rio Attic Angel Place Certified Nursing Assistant Middleton Aurora Health Center Certified Nursing Assistant Oconomowoc Aurora St Luke's Medical Center Nursing Assistant Milwaukee Azura Caregiver Oconomowoc Badger Prairie Health Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Verona Beehive Homes Of Oregon Certified Nursing Assistant Oregon 3 Bethany Lutheran Homes Bethany Riverside La Crosse Bethany St Joseph Resident Care Technician La Crosse Brightstar Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Brightstar Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Janesville Brookdale Senior Living Certified Nursing Assistant Sun Prairie Care Wisconsin Personal Care Worker Columbia Health Care Certified Nursing Assistant Wyocena Community Living Connections Caregiver Creative Community Living Services Caregiver Cumberland Healthcare Rehabilitation Certified Nursing Assistant Cumberland Dean Health Systems Resident Assistant Portage Divine Savior Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Portage 2 Dove Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Eau Claire Edgerton Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Edgerton 2 Elroy Health Services Certified Nursing Assistant Elroy Elroy Health Services Resident Care Assistant Elroy Fairhaven Senior Services Certified Nursing Assistant Whitewater 2 Firelands Regional Medical Hospital Unit Coordinator Sandusky OH Fort Health & Rehabilitation Certified Nursing Assistant Fort Atkinson 2 Fort Health & Rehabilitation ER Technician Fort Atkinson Four Winds Manor Certified Nursing Assistant Verona 4 Fresenius Kidney Care Caregiver Baraboo Greenway Manor Certified Nursing Assistant Spring Green 2 Hearthstone Memory Care Certified Nursing Assistant Whitewater Heartland Country Village Certified Nursing Assistant Black Earth 2 Heather Stevens In-Home Caregiver Heritage Homes Certified Nursing Assistant Watertown Heritage Senior Living Certified Nursing Assistant Middleton Home Again Assisted Living Certified Nursing Assistant Waunakee Home Again Assisted Living Lead Certified Nursing Assistant Waunakee Home Again Assisted Living Resident Assistant Cambridge Home Again Assisted Living Resident Assistant Waunakee Home Instead Senior Care Caregiver Janesville Interim Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Iris Caregiver Lodi School District Administrative Assistant Lodi Maplewood Nursing Home Certified Nursing Assistant Sauk City 6 Marquardt Memorial Manor Certified Nursing Assistant Watertown 7 Mayland Printing Nursing Assistant Meadow View Assisted Living Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo Mercy Health System Certified Nursing Assistant Janesville 2 Middleton-Cross Plains Area School District Health Assistant Middleton Nazareth Health & Rehabilitation Center Certified Nursing Assistant Stoughton 3 Norlite Nursing Center Certified Nursing Assistant Marquette MI Oak Park Place of Baraboo Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo Oak Park Place of Madison Certified Nursing Assistant 5 Oakwood Village Certified Nursing Assistant 5 Oakwood Village Dietary Aide Oakwood Village Resident Assistant Pine Valley Community Village Certified Nursing Assistant Richland Center Pines Assisted Living Resident Aide Prairie du Sac Private Family Caregiver Middleton Private Individual Private Caregiver Reedsburg Area Medical Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg 2 Saint Marys Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Fitchburg Sauk County Health Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg Sauk Prairie Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Prairie du Sac 2 Sauk Prairie Healthcare OB Technician & Unit Secretary Prairie du Sac Segoe Gardens Assisted Living Resident Assistant Select Specialty Hospital Nursing Assistant Self-Employed Caregiver Prairie du Sac Senior Life Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg Senior Life Center Certified Nursing Assistant Wisconsin Dells Serenity Health Care Center Manager Waukesha SSM Health St. Mary's Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital Certified Nursing Assistant 4 St Clare Hospital & Health Services Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo 4 Stoughton Hospital Certified Nursing Assistant Stoughton Stoughton Meadows Caregiver Stoughton Sylvan Crossings Certified Nursing Assistant Fitchburg TLC Staffing Personal Care Worker Lake Mills Unity Point Health Meriter Hospital Certified Nursing Assistant UW Health Hospital & Clinics Certified Nursing Assistant 5 UW Health Hospital & Clinics Emergency Department Coordinator UW Health Hospital & Clinics Nursing Assistant 12 Watertown Memorial Hospital Certified Nursing Assistant Watertown 3 Watertown Memorial Hospital Primary Care Physician Watertown Waunakee Manor Health Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Waunakee Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort Seasonal Aquatics Supervisor Wisconsin Dells Wisconsin Assisted Living Association Residential Support Aide
* - Wisconsin TechConnectTM jobs are posted through a statewide consortium operated and funded by all 16 of the technical colleges in Wisconsin.
** - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
*** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
**** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org