The Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program at Madison College offers you a unique opportunity to learn about the entire lifecycle of an animal from an agricultural, meat production, and culinary arts perspective.
As a student in the Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about farm practices in class and on the farm where you will explore livestock terminology, selection, and care.
- Apply the pasture-to-plate philosophy in Madison College’s state-of-the-art culinary and meat production facility as well as manage all aspects of our retail butcher shop. In the butcher shop, you will identify, inspect and process carcasses, as well as prepare and package meat for sale, and interact with customers.
- Design menus, determine ingredient sourcing, and prepare for the ServSafe credential.
The Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program applies the same guiding principles as local, established farm-to-table practitioners: integrity, honesty, consciousness, creativity, responsibility, respect, and social commitment. If you have a background or interest in farming, meat production, or culinary arts and are committed to integrating these guiding principles into your work, you would be an ideal candidate for this program.
Students in the Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program can attend full or part-time.
Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
Madison College Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program graduates are ready for a range of careers including:
- Meat cutter
- Animal Processor
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2021-2022 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.First SemesterSecond Semester
Earning a degree is a great way to advance your career development opportunities, so apply today!
International students who wish to apply for, maintain, or transfer their F-1 student visa status to Madison College are required to complete the International Admission Process.
Fall 2021 Application Dates
- Application available on September 15, 2020
- Application completion deadline is August 31, 2021
Fall 2022 Application Dates
- Application available on September 15, 2021
- Application completion deadline is August 31, 2022
1. Admission Application
The online application allows you to save your work as you complete it and ensures fast, secure delivery to our office.
2. Education Completion
Graduation from high school, completion of GED/HSED/GED02, or completion of an associate degree or higher is required; submit official transcripts for one of the following:
- High school or charter school transcript (current high school seniors may submit an in-progress transcript) or GED02 transcript
- GED/HSED score report
- College transcript showing an associate degree or higher
3. Residency Requirements
Based on historical trends at Madison College a waitlist is not expected to form for this program. Therefore all applicants, regardless of residency status, are eligible for application review.
Course prerequisites differ from admission requirements; admission into a program does not guarantee eligibility to enroll in courses or success in the program. Refer to program curriculum for details.
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at Madison College.
After completing the Artisanal Modern Meat Butchery program at Madison Area Technical College, you will be able to:
- Examine components of a farm-to-table meat production system.
- Prepare meat for processing and value-added consumption.
- Merchandise meat for sale.