Ready to Learn More?
If you’d like to learn more about the Medical Billing program, we’d love to talk with you. We’re here to answer any questions and guide you through our application process step-by-step. Send us your contact information, and we’ll help you get started right away!
The Medical Billing program focuses on the business side of healthcare – from the patient’s first point of contact through payment for services. Industry experts will teach you how to collect maximum appropriate payments by handling patients’ financial arrangements, billing insurance companies, and processing payments.
The skills you obtain with this diploma are part of a pathway and may be applied to the Medical Administrative Specialist Associate Degree program.
Graduates from this program are qualified to complete professional examinations and earn certification(s) through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). Voluntary, eligible certifications include Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA), Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS), and/or Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS). NHA is the national leader in allied health professional certifications and is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies.
Please note: Healthcare employers require all applicants to complete and pass a background check as a condition of employment.
Get credit for your experience and prior learning.
Students in the Medical Billing program can attend full or part-time.
Medical Billing classes are offered at the Madison College Truax campus.
Medical Billing Careers
Madison College's Medical Billing Specialist graduates are ready for a range of professional positions, including:
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Billing Customer Service Representative
- Collections Analyst
- Patient Accounts Specialist
- Reimbursement Analyst
- Insurance Specialist
- Medical Customer Service Representative
With advanced training, students may find employment as:
Get Certified!Prepare for professional examsEarn certifications through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- Medical Coding Specialist
- Coding Technician
- Medical Administrative Specialist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Word Processing Operator
- Department/Clinic Assistant
- Health Unit Coordinator
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2022-2023 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.First SemesterSecond Semester10-103-1651 credit10-106-1093 credits10-106-1642 credits10-160-1653 credits10-160-1773 credits10-160-1793 credits
Earning a degree is a great way to advance your career development opportunities, so apply today!
International students who wish to apply for, maintain, or transfer their F-1 student visa status to Madison College are required to complete the International Admission Process.
Note: It is recommended to only apply for a semester that has already started if you are currently enrolled in classes or you have verified that classes are still available for that semester.
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is November 15, 2022
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is April 15, 2023
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is July 15, 2023
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is November 15, 2023
- Application opens on February 1, 2023
- Application completion deadline is April 15, 2024
All materials must be submitted by the application deadline.
1. Admission Application
The online application allows you to save your work as you complete it and ensures fast, secure delivery to our office.
2. Education Completion
Students must submit official transcripts for one of the following:
- High school (current high school seniors may submit an in-progress transcript)
- GED/HSED transcript
- College transcript(s) showing completion of an associate degree or higher
- Note: Effective with the 2023-2024 year, this may be fulfilled with at least 30 credits completed with a minimum GPA of 2.0
All high school and/or college transcripts are recommended to be submitted for Credit for Prior Learning evaluation.
- Class capacity is limited and is available on a first come, first served basis.
- Course prerequisites differ from admission requirements; admission into a program does not guarantee eligibility to enroll in courses or success in the program. Refer to program curriculum for details.
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at Madison College.
After completing the Medical Billing Specialist program at Madison Area Technical College, you will be able to:
- Apply technology skills to business and administrative tasks.
- Perform routine healthcare administrative procedures.
- Maintain internal and external relationships.
- Model professionalism in the workplace.
- Process insurance claims.
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2021 Number of Program Graduates 4 Number of Surveys Sent 4 Number of Surveys Returned 4 Percent of Surveys Returned 100.00% Available for Employment 2 Percent Available for Employment 66.70% Not in Labor Market 2 Percent Not in Labor Market 66.70% Available for Employment
2021 Graduates Employed 2 Percent of Graduates Employed 100.00% Employed in Related Occupation 1 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 50.00% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 1 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 50.00% Employed - No Response 0 Percent Employed - No Response 0.00% Seeking Employment 0 Percent Seeking Employment 0.00% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2021 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.7 Number of Satisfaction Responses 3 Very Satisfied (4) 2 Percent Very Satisfied 66.70% Satisfied (3) 1 Percent Satisfied 33.30% Unsatisfied (2) 0 Percent Unsatisfied 0.00% Very Unsatisfed (1) 0 Percent Very Unsatisfied 0.00% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2021 Number of Primary Reason Responses 4 Preparation for Getting a Job 2 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 50.00% Career Change 1 Percent Career Change 25.00% Improvement of Existing Skills 0 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 0.00% Preparation for Further Education 1 Percent Preparation for Further Education 25.00% Personal Interest 0 Percent Personal Interest 0.00% Other 0 Percent Other 0.00% When Employment was Obtained
2021 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 2 Before Enrollment 0 Percent Before Enrollment 0.00% While Attending the College 1 Percent While Attending the College 50.00% After Training at the College 1 Percent After Training at the College 50.00% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2021 Number of Employment Location Responses 2 In College District 2 Percent In College District 100.00% In Wisconsin, Not in District 0 Percent of In Wisconsin 0.00% Outside of Wisconsin 0 Percent Outside Wisconsin 0.00% Employer Location Unknown 0 Percent Location Unknown 0.00% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2021 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 1 Average Monthly Wage $2,633 Average Hourly Wage $15.31 Average Work Hours per Week 40 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count Average Hourly Wage Average Work Hours per Week
Graduate Employers for academic year: 2021 Employer(s) Job Title City* State** Positions SSM Health Patient Access Representative Stoughton
* - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
*** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at email@example.com
Summer Service Hours
- Monday – Wednesday: 9 am - 3 pm In-Person, 8 am - 4 pm Virtual
- Thursday: 8 am - 4 pm Virtual Only
- Friday: 8 am - 12 pm Virtual Only