This is a one-year apprenticeship with 144 hours/4 credits of instruction broken into two aid code 10, lab-based courses. This training is aligned with the Department of Workforce Development-Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards.
Apprenticeship pairs on-the-job training with classroom instruction. This instruction provides the appropriate background knowledge and hands-on experience to perform entry-level support tasks including maintaining a clean and/or sterile work environment, working aseptically, working safely, working in collaborative teams, making solutions, and producing and maintaining proper documentation.
Laboratory coat and safety glasses; laboratory notebook; scientific calculator (approx. $50 total)
- 2,144 hours (approximately one year)
- 2,000 hours of on-the-job learning
- 144 hours of related instruction
Biotechnology Lab Support Assistant classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison Truax
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2021-2022 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.Required Courses10-007-1033 credits10-007-1081 credit
How to Apply
Biotechnology Lab Support Assistant apprenticeships applicants must find an apprenticeship with a sponsoring employer on their own (similar to looking for a job). Once the applicant has found a position, the employer starts the apprenticeship registration process by contacting a Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards (BAS) Representative for their county.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Have a valid government-issued photo identification
Madison College Biotechnology Lab Support Assistant graduates are prepared to:
- Perform General Lab Operations
- Perform Preanalytical Tasks
- Perform Lab Specific Operations
- Utilize Equipment
- Formulate/Test Reagents and or Samples
- Perform Post-Analytic Tasks
- Maintain Professional Development