Madison College's Biotechnology Laboratory Support Assistant Diploma offers hands-on training needed for successful entry into today's biotech job market.
The Biotechnology Laboratory Support Assistant Diploma is a good fit for recent high school graduates, professionals returning to the workforce or changing careers, or those looking to start a career in biotechnology while continuing their education.
Diploma Program Preparation
- A year of high school biology.
- A year of high school chemistry or General Chemistry at Madison College.
Courses emphasize workplace skills in communication, safety, time management and professionalism. Classes will introduce you to technical skills in:
- Working aseptically
- Making media and solutions
- Growing bacteria in culture
- Maintaining proper documentation
- Basic laboratory instrumentation
Courses are developed with local industry advice and are taught in fully-equipped laboratories that allow you access to the supplies and equipment used in the biotech industry.
The Biotechnology Laboratory Support Assistant Diploma can be completed in two semesters.
Upon graduation, you can start a biotechnology career in an entry level support position in the industry.
Students in the Biotechnology Laboratory Support Assistant embedded technical diploma can attend full or part-time.
Biotechnology Laboratory Support Assistant classes may be offered at these Madison College Campuses:
- Madison - Truax
The Biotechnology Laboratory Support Assistant Diploma curriculum provides students with appropriate background knowledge and hands-on experience to perform entry level support tasks in the Biotechnology Industry such as maintaining a clean and/or sterile work environment, working aseptically, working safely, working in collaborative teams, making solutions, and producing and maintaining proper documentation
Earning your Biotechnology Laboratory Support Assistant embedded technical diploma at Madison Area Technical College prepares you for valuable work in:
- Lab Assistant: monitoring equipment; sample preparation; glassware; media and solution preparation.
- Biological Science Aide: instrumentation; glassware; stocks and supplies; set up and takedown of experiments; sample preparation.
- Laboratory Support Technician: maintenance of lab systems and resources; preparation of laboratory reagents and solutions.
- Lab Operations Associate: reagent production and testing; assist in process and method development, characterization, and validation; materials management; packaging, shipping, receiving, and distribution of goods and supplies.
With additional education and/or work experience, graduates may find employment as:
- Laboratory technicians
- Production technicians
- QA/QC technicians
Over 90% of Madison Area Technical College Biotech students are placed in related jobs. Graduates have worked in more than 50 different companies in the Dane County area.
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2022-2023 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.Courses10-007-1033 credits10-007-1053 credits10-007-1081 credit10-007-1111 credit10-007-1361 credit
Earning a degree is a great way to advance your career development opportunities, so apply today!
International students who wish to apply for, maintain, or transfer their F-1 student visa status to Madison College are required to complete the International Admission Process.
Fall 2022 Application Dates
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is August 31, 2022
Spring 2023 Application Dates
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is January 15, 2023
1. Admission Application
The online application allows you to save your work as you complete it and ensures fast, secure delivery to our office.
2. Education Completion
Graduation from high school, completion of GED/HSED/GED02, or completion of an associate degree or higher is required; submit official transcripts for one of the following:
- High school or charter school transcript (current high school seniors may submit an in-progress transcript) or GED02 transcript
- GED/HSED score report
- College transcript showing an associate degree or higher
3. Residency Requirement
Based on historical trends at Madison College a waitlist is not expected to form for these programs. Therefore all applicants, regardless of residency status, are eligible for application review.
Learn more about residency determination and program availability.
Course prerequisites differ from admission requirements; admission into a program does not guarantee eligibility to enroll in courses or success in the program. Refer to program curriculum for details.
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at Madison College.
MATC Biotechnology Laboratory Support Assistant embedded technical diploma graduates are prepared to:
- Follow policies and procedures in regulated laboratory environments.
- Follow health and safety protocols.
- Demonstrate a variety of math and laboratory skills.
- Apply active listening, oral, and written communication skills to follow procedures.
- Adhere to professional and ethical standards in the biotechnology profession.
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2019 2020 2021 Number of Program Graduates 24 11 9 Number of Surveys Sent 24 11 9 Number of Surveys Returned 22 1 9 Percent of Surveys Returned 91.70% 9.10% 100.00% Available for Employment 8 0 1 Percent Available for Employment 61.50% 0.00% 100.00% Not in Labor Market 13 1 8 Percent Not in Labor Market 100.00% 100.00% 800.00% Available for Employment
2019 2020 2021 Graduates Employed 7 0 1 Percent of Graduates Employed 87.50% 100.00% Employed in Related Occupation 4 0 0 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 57.10% 0.00% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 3 0 1 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 42.90% 100.00% Employed - No Response 0 0 0 Percent Employed - No Response 0.00% 0.00% Seeking Employment 1 0 0 Percent Seeking Employment 12.50% 0.00% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2019 2020 2021 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.5 3 3 Number of Satisfaction Responses 13 1 1 Very Satisfied (4) 6 0 0 Percent Very Satisfied 46.20% 0.00% 0.00% Satisfied (3) 7 1 1 Percent Satisfied 53.80% 100.00% 100.00% Unsatisfied (2) 0 0 0 Percent Unsatisfied 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Very Unsatisfed (1) 0 0 0 Percent Very Unsatisfied 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2019 2020 2021 Number of Primary Reason Responses 22 1 9 Preparation for Getting a Job 7 0 0 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 31.80% 0.00% 0.00% Career Change 2 0 0 Percent Career Change 9.10% 0.00% 0.00% Improvement of Existing Skills 1 0 0 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 4.50% 0.00% 0.00% Preparation for Further Education 10 0 9 Percent Preparation for Further Education 45.50% 0.00% 100.00% Personal Interest 2 1 0 Percent Personal Interest 9.10% 100.00% 0.00% Other 0 0 0 Percent Other 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% When Employment was Obtained
2019 2020 2021 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 7 0 1 Before Enrollment 1 0 0 Percent Before Enrollment 14.30% 0.00% While Attending the College 4 0 0 Percent While Attending the College 57.10% 0.00% After Training at the College 2 0 1 Percent After Training at the College 28.60% 100.00% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2019 2020 2021 Number of Employment Location Responses 8 0 1 In College District 5 0 1 Percent In College District 62.50% 100.00% In Wisconsin, Not in District 1 0 0 Percent of In Wisconsin 12.50% 0.00% Outside of Wisconsin 0 0 0 Percent Outside Wisconsin 0.00% 0.00% Employer Location Unknown 2 0 0 Percent Location Unknown 25.00% 0.00% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2019 2020 2021 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 2 Average Monthly Wage $2,795 Average Hourly Wage $16.25 Average Work Hours per Week 40 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 2 Average Hourly Wage $16.45 Average Work Hours per Week 14.5
- Mondays: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm - Virtual Only
- Tuesdays: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm - In Person
- Wednesdays: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm - In Person
- Thursdays: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm - Virtual Only
- Fridays: 8 am - 12:00 pm - Virtual Only