Estimated Program Cost
This certificate is designed to provide hands-on laboratory experience in molecular biology techniques for students with a strong biology theory background who hope to pursue careers in scientific research. It includes instruction in basic lab skills as executed in a regulated workplace. Molecular biology skills emphasized include the basics of recombinant DNA technology, traditional PCR, quantitative PCR, RNA isolation, RT-PCR and primer design. An introduction to CRISPR is included.
Students in the Molecular Biology Fundamentals Certificate can attend part time.
Molecular Biology Fundamentals Certificate is offered at the Truax campus in Madison.
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2023-2024 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.First Term CourseComplete one of the following courses:20-806-2191 credit10-007-1033 creditsSecond Term Courses
Earning a certificate is a great way to expand your skill set, and it adds professionalism to a resume. Applications are always open, so apply today!
International students who wish to apply for, maintain, or transfer their F-1 student visa status to Madison College are required to complete the International Admission Process.
Spring Application Dates
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is March 15, 2024
Fall Application Dates
- Application available on February 1
- Application completion deadline is October 15, 2024
All materials must be submitted by the application deadline.
Official transcripts must be sent from the institutions you attended and indicate one of the following with a C or better:
- Introductory Zoology (20806203)
- Botany (20806215)
- Cellular and Molecular Biology (20806271)
The course requirements above can be waived by the program director if a student has comparable coursework.
- Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid
- Class capacity is limited and is available on a first come, first served basis
- Students who have already completed the certificate coursework at the time of application will receive the certificate diploma at the end of the term of application
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at Madison College.