The Fire Academy includes 200 hours of firefighting training that prepares you for the State of Wisconsin Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 certification examinations. Successful completion of both the Fire Academy and the EMT program will provide you with a diploma in Fire Service Certification.
Students in the Fire Academy can attend part time.
Academy classes are offered in two formats:
- Three days a week during the day
- In the evenings and one weekend a month
Fire Service Certification classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
The Fire Recruit Academy prepares you to test for International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) certification.
The Madison College Fire 1 and Fire 2 classes are accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC)
Fire Service Certification graduates are ready for a range of professional positions in the field including:
With additional education and/or work experience, graduates may find employment as:
- Fire Protection Technician
- Fire Protection Systems Installer
- Industrial Safety Technician
- Property Risk Management Specialist
- Fire Protection Consultant
- Fire Protection Equipment Sales Manager
- Industrial Safety Manager
- Municipal Safety Manager
- Property Loss/Risk Management Supervisor
- Fire Investigator
- Fire Marshal
- Fire Inspector
- Fire Officer
Conservation Warden Jobs
Fire Service Jobs
- Fire Service Exploring
- USDA Forest Service
- 911 Hot Jobs
- Public Safety Jobs
- Wisconsin State Firefighters’ Association
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2022-2023 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.Required Courses
- Register for a Fire Academy section via your student account.
- Register for the EMT portion by following the instructions on the admission tab on the EMT program page.
You must complete both EMT and Fire Academy to earn the diploma. You do not need to take them during the same semester.
You will receive a letter with additional instructions including equipment and book requirements.