The Nursing Assistant program at Madison College prepares students for employment as nursing assistants. Students learn:
- Communication skills
- Basic nursing and personal care skills
- Client rights
- Care of clients with dementia
Please note that prior to registration, you will be required to complete a background check and provide documentation of current required immunizations. Please see the Admission tab for details about these registration requirements.
The program is approved by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services as a nurse aide training program.
This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
The Goodman Foundation is offering a limited number of scholarships to students who participate in a Nursing Assistant class at the Goodman South Campus. In addition, students must show proof of financial need (Badger Care, Food Share or income) or belong to an ethnic/racial underrepresented group. For questions/application inquiries, please contact Nedra Bobo-Boyles, Goodman South Campus Manager.
Nursing Assistant classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
- Madison - South
- Fort Atkinson
100 percent attendance is mandatory for all portions of this course. Please disregard any statements that portions of this course are optional.
Graduates of the Nursing Assistant program at Madison Area Technical College can seek employment as the following:
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Nursing Assistant
- Nurse Aide
- Home Health Aide
- Psychiatric Aide
Upon successful competency testing, Nursing Assistants may find employment in:
- Nursing Homes
- Home Health Agencies
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2022-2023 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.Fall, Spring or Summer Semester
Be sure to understand the essential functions necessary for Nursing Assistant courses.
All registration requirements listed below must be complete, prior to enrolling in a Nursing Assistant course.
1. Create a Madison College Student Account (if you do not already have one).
2. Demonstrate Reading Comprehension Requirement by ONE of the following:
- Placement Testing (official scores from one of the following, within the last five years): COMPASS-Reading 60, Accuplacer Reading-60, Next Generation Accuplacer, 240, Reading ASSET-Reading 35, or ACT-Reading 13
- College-level English course with a grade of C or better. If you completed your English course at another college, you must submit official transcripts.
- Final grade of C or better in Academic Reading 5/6 or College Reading Strategies or Intro College Reading & Study Skills
- Final grade of C or better in Communication for Health - Reading and Communication for Health - Writing.
- Official transcripts reflecting completion of two-year Technical Diploma, associate degree, or higher
Questions on how to submit your transcripts or test scores? Please contact our Enrollment Center at (608) 246-6210.
Need ESL support? Please contact the School of Academic Advancement at (608) 246-2378.
3. Background Check and Health Screening
- Purchase and create an account on CastleBranch, using Package Code MJ17. The cost for the background check and health screening document manager is $94.00
- You do not need to purchase the $12 ID card that is offered.
- You do not need to purchase the Urine Drug Test (MJ17dt) for enrollment. That requirement is specific to a limited number of clinical sites. Any students who must complete the Urine Drug Testing will be notified after their class starts and provided a deadline for completion.
- Print and complete the Background Information Disclosure Form. Learn more about the background check process.
- Refer to the Nursing Assistant Program Health Requirements Checklist (pdf) (also found within your CastleBranch account). Use this document to complete the mandatory health requirements. If you are having troubles reading this pdf, please contact the School of Nursing at (608)246-6780.Note: depending on your vaccination history, you may need updated immunizations or titers (blood draws) to demonstrate your immunity. Tuberculosis (TB) testing may take up to four clinic visits.
Madison College School of Nursing has updated the health requirements for all students to include COVID vaccination and Covid Booster. Please view Frequently Asked Questions for further details. Ensure that your CastleBranch accounts are up to date and include documentation of both doses of the vaccine (or the one Johnson and Johnson).
- Scan, save and upload your complete Background Information Disclosure (BID) and Health Screening forms to your CastleBranch account; be sure to include any supporting lab reports or immunization documentation. For assistance with scanning and uploading your documents, please visit any campus library.
- Health/accident insurance is required to take this course. If you do not have your own comprehensive health insurance, you may purchase student accident insurance. The accident insurance is $15/semester.
- After uploading the required documents, be sure to check your email account for any 'to do' messages from CastleBranch. Read your background check results carefully.
Questions on the status of your documents? Please contact CastleBranch at (888) 666-7788.
- When all requirements in your CastleBranch account are marked complete, you will receive an email notifying you are approved to register. If you receive a rejection on your Influenza immunization, please contact the School of Nursing.
- The School of Nursing requires an initial COVID Vaccine series and COVID Booster shot. Not having the COVID booster will limit or eliminate a student’s clinical experience opportunities.
A School of Nursing COVID vaccine waiver may be possible. Contact Lisa Kromanaker at email@example.com. Clinical sites have the right to reject any Madison College School of Nursing waiver, may have their own waiver process, or refuse participation of any student who does not meet their requirements
- Log in to the Blackboard course site at least three days prior to your first day of class to familiarize yourself
- You are not allowed to miss any class, lab or clinical time. Do not register for a course if you expect any absences.
- Purchase your textbook and Nursing Assistant Supply Kit from the bookstore or regional campus front office, no later than the first day of class.
- Other required supplies to purchase: Uniform, shoes, watch with second hand, etc. (See dress code in Nursing Assistant program student handbook)
- Solid-color scrubs and clean impermeable shoes are required for lab and clinical.
- If you need to drop the course, you must do so before the first day to receive a full refund.
- You must be at least 16 years of age prior to the first day of class. Some clinical sites require you to be 17 or 18 years old; this will be noted in course details.
In high school? If you are taking a nursing assistant course through your high school or through Start College Now, there are additional steps to this process. Please see your school representative for more information. All requirements listed above are still required prior to enrollment.
Questions about Start College Now? Please contact Early College Programs and Partnerships at (608) 243-4595.
Upon successful completion of the Nursing Assistant program, students are eligible for competency testing for the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry. Placement on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry is required for employment.
Students who successfully complete the Nursing Assistant course will be prepared to:
- Communicate and interact effectively with clients, family and co-workers.
- Provide care that shows recognition of client rights and the role of state and federal agencies regarding abuse, neglect and misappropriation.
- Report and record observations promptly and accurately to proper persons.
- Incorporate into practice the ethical and legal responsibilities of the NA/HHA.
- Provide safe care to a diverse population, meeting personal, physical and psychosocial client needs.
- Assist with client rehabilitation and restorative care, promoting independence.
- Provide for resident personal care and hygiene.
- Assist clients with long-term, disabling conditions including dementia, always focusing on the strengths of the client.
- Care for clients under licensed supervision.
- Take the WI NA Competency evaluation.
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2019 2020 2021 Number of Program Graduates 629 598 502 Number of Surveys Sent 621 585 502 Number of Surveys Returned 421 296 340 Percent of Surveys Returned 67.80% 50.60% 67.70% Available for Employment 282 223 114 Percent Available for Employment 82.70% 75.30% 39.60% Not in Labor Market 134 69 220 Percent Not in Labor Market 39.30% 23.30% 76.40% Available for Employment
2019 2020 2021 Graduates Employed 260 205 104 Percent of Graduates Employed 92.20% 91.90% 91.20% Employed in Related Occupation 182 164 74 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 70.00% 80.00% 71.20% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 74 37 30 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 28.50% 18.00% 28.80% Employed - No Response 4 4 0 Percent Employed - No Response 1.50% 2.00% 0.00% Seeking Employment 22 18 10 Percent Seeking Employment 7.80% 8.10% 8.80% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2019 2020 2021 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.6 3.6 3.6 Number of Satisfaction Responses 338 292 282 Very Satisfied (4) 203 192 162 Percent Very Satisfied 60.10% 65.80% 57.40% Satisfied (3) 127 94 116 Percent Satisfied 37.60% 32.20% 41.10% Unsatisfied (2) 4 4 3 Percent Unsatisfied 1.20% 1.40% 1.10% Very Unsatisfed (1) 4 2 1 Percent Very Unsatisfied 1.20% 0.70% 0.40% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2019 2020 2021 Number of Primary Reason Responses 418 296 334 Preparation for Getting a Job 96 89 70 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 23.00% 30.10% 21.00% Career Change 32 39 43 Percent Career Change 7.70% 13.20% 12.90% Improvement of Existing Skills 10 7 14 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 2.40% 2.40% 4.20% Preparation for Further Education 263 151 199 Percent Preparation for Further Education 62.90% 51.00% 59.60% Personal Interest 12 9 8 Percent Personal Interest 2.90% 3.00% 2.40% Other 5 1 0 Percent Other 1.20% 0.30% 0.00% When Employment was Obtained
2019 2020 2021 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 253 201 104 Before Enrollment 77 46 44 Percent Before Enrollment 30.40% 22.90% 42.30% While Attending the College 54 45 18 Percent While Attending the College 21.30% 22.40% 17.30% After Training at the College 122 110 42 Percent After Training at the College 48.20% 54.70% 40.40% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2019 2020 2021 Number of Employment Location Responses 265 209 110 In College District 211 152 74 Percent In College District 79.60% 72.70% 67.30% In Wisconsin, Not in District 41 44 25 Percent of In Wisconsin 15.50% 21.10% 22.70% Outside of Wisconsin 6 4 5 Percent Outside Wisconsin 2.30% 1.90% 4.50% Employer Location Unknown 7 9 6 Percent Location Unknown 2.60% 4.30% 5.50% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2019 2020 2021 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 61 46 39 Average Monthly Wage $2,550 $2,584 $2,967 Average Hourly Wage $14.83 $15.03 $17.25 Average Work Hours per Week 40.5 40.7 40.4 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 96 93 26 Average Hourly Wage $14.28 $14.84 $16.88 Average Work Hours per Week 22.3 22.3 24.3
Graduate Employers for academic year: 2021 Employer(s) Job Title City* State** Positions Advocate Aurora Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Milwaukee Attic Angel Place Certified Nursing Assistant Middleton 2 Attic Angel Place Nurse Aide Middleton Aurora Wilkinson Medical Clinic Urgent Care Nursing Assistant Oconomowoc CareBuilders at Home Certified Nursing Assistant Barrington IL Crossroads Care Center Nursing Assistant Kenosha Crossroads Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Sun Prairie Fort Health & Rehabilitation Certified Nursing Assistant Fort Atkinson Harmony Assisted Living Centers Certified Nursing Assistant McFarland Health Improvement Partnership of Santa Cruz County Program Assistant Scotts Valley CA Home Again Assisted Living Certified Nursing Assistant Waunukee Home Again Assisted Living Certified Nursing Assistant Cambridge Home Again Assisted Living Resident Assistant Cambridge Independence Village Certified Nursing Assistant Rockford IL Lisa Hoon Caregiver Madison Metropolitan School District Bilingual Special Educational Assistant Noel Manor Resident Assistant Verona Nova Home Support Behavioral Health Manager Scotts Valley CA Oak Park Place of Baraboo Certified Nursing Assistant Baraboo Oak Park Place of Madison Personal Care Assistant Options In Community Living Direct Support Professional Park View Health Center Nurse Aide Oshkosh Public Health Of Madison & Dane County COVID Response Specialist - Bilingual Sauk County Health Care Center Certified Nursing Assistant Reedsburg Self-Employed Caregiver Fitchburg SSM Health Certified Nursing Assistant 6 SSM Health Medical Assistant Waunakee SSM Health Medical Assistant Baraboo St Coletta Of Wisconsin Certified Nursing Assistant Jefferson St Coletta of Wisconsin Direct Support Professional Jefferson Stoughton Health Nursing Assistant Stoughton Tivoli At Divine Savior Healthcare Certified Nursing Assistant Portage Unity Point Health Nursing Assistant 2 Unity Point Health Certified Nursing Assistant UW Health Hospitals & Clinics Nursing Assistant 8 UW Health Hospitals & Clinics Patient Scheduling Representative UW Health Hospitals & Clinics Certified Nursing Assistant 5 UW Health Hospitals & Clinics Medical Assistant UW Health Hospitals & Clinics Registered Nurse VA Medical Center Certified Nursing Assistant 4 VA Medical Center Nursing Assistant Villa at Middleton Village Nursing Assistant Middleton Visiting Angels Certified Nursing Assistant Watertown Regional Medical Center Certified Nursing Assistant Watertown Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Administrative Assistant Waukesha
* - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
*** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org