Madison College offers a Renewable Energy Certificate program for students interested in the design, engineering, economic analysis, installation, maintenance and repair of various types of renewable energy systems.
The Renewable Energy certificate program is designed to integrate interdisciplinary technical courses taught by faculty who hold appointments and certifications in a variety of instructional areas, including electrical and mechanical technology, engineering, agriculture, and basic and applied sciences.
As a renewable energy student at Madison College, you’ll have the opportunity to explore and learn in classrooms, laboratories and field locations. In the field, you’ll examine renewable energy technologies applied to real world situations.
Some renewable energy courses transfer to UW-Madison, UW-Platteville, Edgewood College and other four-year colleges and universities, giving you the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills further.
As a student in Renewable Energy, you will:
- Gain the necessary knowledge and skills to launch a career in renewable energy.
- Experience hands-on training with renewable energy tools and equipment.
Renewable Energy Certificate Benefits
- Add a Renewable Energy Certificate to academic studies in another field to enhance your Technical Diploma, Associate Degree or Transfer Program at Madison College.
- Use Renewable Energy coursework in combination with industry training, job experience or professional exams to earn national renewable energy certifications.
- As a current trade worker or technical professional, enhance your career and increase your value to employers with the Renewable Energy Certificate.
- Enroll in flexible classes through online and hybrid course options, short-course formats and alternative schedules, including evenings, weekends, winter break and/or summer sessions.
Students in the Renewable Energy certificate can attend full or part time.
Renewable Energy certificate classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison – Commercial Avenue
- Madison - Truax
Some of the courses for this program may be available online and in hybrid format.
YOUR ADVANTAGES AT MADISON COLLEGE
• Madison College is recognized as a leader in renewable energy and has received multiple grant awards, including over $4 million in support from the National Science Foundation over the past decade.
• Madison College instructors are part of a network of experts in the field, having worked with the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, the Department of Labor, the Interstate Renewable Energy Council, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, the Solar Instructor Training Network and the National Alternative Fuel Training Consortium.
• Madison College serves as the lead institution for the Center for Renewable Energy Advanced Technological Education (www.CreateEnergy.org) and has helped train many other renewable energy instructors across the country.
• Madison College was one of the first schools in the nation to offer a Renewable Energy certificate and is highly regarded for several other course and curriculum innovations. Madison College students obtain a personalized learning experience with hands-on experience in courses that are intentionally kept small through limited enrollment.
• Madison College students receive instruction from renewable energy faculty whose primary responsibility and interest is teaching.
• Madison College facilities feature modern, renewable energy laboratories, tools and teaching equipment supported by an experienced professional staff.
• Many renewable energy courses are available in the evenings, in hybrid or online formats, and as short courses to allow students flexibility in scheduling around their other work and academic responsibilities.
• As of 2017, over 400 students have pursued renewable energy coursework through Madison College.
• In January of 2019, Madison College commissioned the largest rooftop solar system in the State of Wisconsin. Students in the renewable energy program are able to work with this 1.85 MegaWatt system to learn about the most recent advances in solar technology.
View the Madison College Truax Solar System Performance Display.
Earning your certificate in Renewable Energy at Madison Area Technical College prepares you for valuable work as:
- Wind Turbine Technician/Installer
- Solar Hot Water Technician/Installer
- Photovoltaic Technician/Installer
- Anaerobic Digester Technician/Installer
- Biofuel Refinery Operator/Technician
- Building Operator/Technician
- Power And Utility Technician
- Legislative Research Technician
- Energy Manager/Analyst
- Energy Auditor
- Energy Broker/Marketer
- Resource Conservation/Efficiency Manager
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2023-2024 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.Required Courses (Specific)Completion of both of the listed courses is required.20-806-2913 credits20-806-2923 creditsRequired Courses (Choices)Completion of 3 credits from the listed courses is required.20-806-2872 credits20-806-2903 credits20-806-2931 credit20-809-2693 credits20-806-3911 credit20-806-3922 credits20-806-3933 credits20-806-3941 credit20-806-3952 credits20-806-3963 creditsHonors courses and Independent Studies courses may also be available. Consult the Program Director for more information.20-806-8072 credits20-806-9073 credits20-806-2971 credit20-806-2982 credits20-806-2993 creditsAdditionally, some previously taken Renewable Energy courses may count towards the requirements. Those courses that qualify would automatically be picked up in the specific individual's Degree Progress (Academic Advising) Report.
Earning a certificate is a great way to expand your skill set, and it adds professionalism to a resume. Applications are always open, so apply today!
There are no admission requirements for this certificate, simply submit your application by the deadline for each term.
International students who wish to apply for, maintain, or transfer their F-1 student visa status to Madison College are required to complete the International Admission Process.
Fall Application Dates
- Application open
- Application completion deadline is October 15, 2023
Spring Application Dates
- Application available on September, 1, 2023
- Certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid
- Class capacity is limited and is available on a first come, first served basis
- Students who have already completed the certificate coursework at the time of application will receive the certificate diploma at the end of the term of application
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at Madison College.
Contact the Enrollment Center at EnrollmentServices@madisoncollege.edu or 608.246.6210.
Apply to Madison College and take the first step towards your Renewable Energy career.
Madison Truax Campus
Main Building, C2433
1701 Wright Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53704
- Monday – Thursday: 8 am - 4:30 pm
Friday: 8 am - 4:30 pm (Phone and email only.)