Associate Degree in Applied Arts
Madison College's Associate of Arts Degree in Animation and Concept Development offers classes in traditional and digital skills related to professional 3D animation and concept planning and development.
While attending classes in the Animation program you will develop a broad foundation of skills in:
- Concept drawing and layout
- Figure/life drawing for concept work
- Concept presentation
- Digital modeling, texturing, rigging and animation
- Level design and construction
- Asset creation and management
- Digital lighting and cinematography
Graduating students have the opportunity to apply for professional internships and mentorships, and create a professional portfolio and demo reel.
Students in the Animation program must attend classes full time.
Animation classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
Explore financial aid eligibility for this program.
Some of the courses for this program may be available online.Animationhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac4v1HzVZKM
- View the admission requirements for application deadlines, materials, and requirements.
- Attend an Academic Information Session to get started in the admission process.
- Visit MATC to learn more about the Madison College experience including campus tours and program open houses.
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at MATC.
Contact Enrollment Services at EnrollmentServices@madisoncollege.edu or (608) 246-6210.
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2019-2020 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.10-207-1011 credits10-207-1032 credits10-207-1102 credits10-207-1112 credits10-207-1122 credits10-207-1142 credits10-207-1392 credits10-801-1953 credits10-809-1993 credits10-207-1173 credits10-207-1202 credits10-207-1222 credits10-207-1503 credits10-207-2242 credits10-801-1963 credits10-804-1073 credits10-207-1302 credits10-207-1312 credits10-207-1342 credits10-207-1402 credits10-207-1512 credits10-801-1983 creditsElective3 credits10-207-1332 credits10-207-1413 credits10-207-1422 credits10-207-1432 credits10-207-1442 credits10-809-1663 credits10-809-1973 credits
After completing the Animation program at Madison Area Technical College, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in the technical and aesthetic skills necessary to meet challenges in the animation profession.
- Apply the principles and theories necessary to contribute to the creation of professional animation in a business setting.
- Apply critical thinking skills to solve complex problems and demonstrate effective organization in a high-pressure workplace.
- Communicate effectively and professionally using appropriate media, including written, verbal, graphic and electronic communications.
- Demonstrate creativity, innovation and flexibility in order to work successfully in a continuously changing animation business environment.
- Assume responsibility for continuing education in order to maintain, expand and enhance professional and artistic growth.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with colleagues in a team setting and understand workflow processes in a business environment.
- Exhibit desirable interpersonal skills, including but not limited to respect and sensitivity for diverse cultures and individuals.
- Practice desirable professional ethics, honesty, and confidentiality as applied to copyrighted materials when working on various facets of animation.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply principles of intellectual property and intellectual freedom to the professional production of animation.
Earning your associate degree in the Animation program at Madison College prepares you for valuable work as a:
- Character Animator
- Concept Artist/Designer
- Storyboard Artist
You will also be prepared for work as an animator, modeler, lighter or illustrator in the following industries:
- Game Design
- Medical and Scientific
- Multimedia Production
- Product Design Development
- Web Design
Estimated Program Cost
# of Credits for Completion67Tuition$9145.50Materials/Supplemental Costs$1114.58Other Costs$0.00Total Estimated Program Costs:
(book costs not included)$10260.08
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2016 2017 2018 Number of Program Graduates 7 10 7 Number of Surveys Sent 7 10 6 Number of Surveys Returned 6 8 3 Percent of Surveys Returned 85.70% 80.00% 50.00% Available for Employment 6 6 2 Percent Available for Employment 100.00% 75.00% 66.70% Not in Labor Market 0 2 1 Percent Not in Labor Market 0.00% 25.00% 33.30% Available for Employment
2016 2017 2018 Graduates Employed 5 4 2 Percent of Graduates Employed 83.30% 66.70% 100.00% Employed in Related Occupation 2 1 1 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 40.00% 25.00% 50.00% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 3 3 1 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 60.00% 75.00% 50.00% Employed - No Response 0 0 0 Percent Employed - No Response 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Seeking Employment 1 2 0 Percent Seeking Employment 16.70% 33.30% 0.00% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.3 3.1 3.3 Number of Satisfaction Responses 6 8 3 Very Satisfied 3 3 1 Percent Very Satisfied 50.00% 37.50% 33.30% Satisfied 2 4 2 Percent Satisfied 33.30% 50.00% 66.70% Unsatisfied 1 0 0 Percent Unsatisfied 16.70% 0.00% 0.00% Very Unsatisfied 0 1 0 Percent Very Unsatisfied 0.00% 12.50% 0.00% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Number of Primary Reason Responses 6 8 3 Preparation for Getting a Job 4 3 3 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 66.70% 37.50% 100.00% Career Change 1 2 0 Percent Career Change 16.70% 25.00% 0.00% Improvement of Existing Skills 1 0 0 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 16.70% 0.00% 0.00% Preparation for Further Education 0 2 0 Percent Preparation for Further Education 0.00% 25.00% 0.00% Personal Interest 0 1 0 Percent Personal Interest 0.00% 12.50% 0.00% Other 0 0 0 Percent Other 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% When Employment was Obtained
2016 2017 2018 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 5 3 2 Before Enrollment 1 2 0 Percent Before Enrollment 20.00% 66.70% 0.00% While Attending the College 2 0 0 Percent While Attending the College 40.00% 0.00% 0.00% After Training at the College 2 1 2 Percent After Training at the College 40.00% 33.30% 100.00% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2016 2017 2018 Number of Employment Location Responses 5 4 2 In College District 3 3 2 Percent In College District 60.00% 75.00% 100.00% In Wisconsin, Not in District 1 0 0 Percent of In Wisconsin 20.00% 0.00% 0.00% Outside of Wisconsin 1 0 0 Percent Outside Wisconsin 20.00% 0.00% 0.00% Employer Location Unknown 0 1 0 Percent Location Unknown 0.00% 25.00% 0.00% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2016 2017 2018 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 2 1 1 Average Monthly Wage $2,623 $2,316 $3,268 Average Hourly Wage $15.25 $13.46 $19.00 Average Work Hours per Week 42.5 45 55 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count Average Hourly Wage Average Work Hours per Week
Total Positions Open for academic year: 2018 Wisconsin TechConnectTM Jobs* Madison Non-Madison Number of Full Time Positions Open 1 0 Number of Part Time Positions Open 0 1 Total Jobs 1 1 Graduate Employers for academic year: 2018 Employer(s) Job Title City** State*** Positions Nine Realms 3D Environment Artist
* - Wisconsin TechConnectTM jobs are posted through a statewide consortium operated and funded by all 16 of the technical colleges in Wisconsin.
** - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
*** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
**** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org