Ethnic studies courses explore the position of ethnic and racial minorities in the history, culture and society of the United States. The courses in this certificate develop philosophical insights and theoretical tools that encourage further exploration of the entire spectrum of society and culture in the U.S. Completing a sequence of Ethnic Studies courses will challenge students to think critically about the roles that race and ethnicity have played in the development of American history, culture and society. Students will analyze aesthetic values, investigate historical processes and study how race and ethnicity are connected to issues that at first may seem unrelated.
To be awarded Madison College's Ethnic Studies certificate, students need to successfully complete at least one course from each of the three academic areas: Literature, History and Social Sciences.
Students earning the Ethnic Studies certificate can attend full or part time.
Ethnic Studies certificate classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Truax
- Madison - South
- Fort Atkinson
Some of the courses for this program may be available online.
View the admission requirements for application deadlines, materials and requirements.
- Review the admission checklist to learn how to apply to a program or certificate at Madison College.
- Attend an Academic Information Session to get started in the admission process.
- Visit MATC to learn more about the Madison College experience, including campus tours and program open houses.
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at MATC.
Contact the Enrollment Center at EnrollmentServices@madisoncollege.edu or (608) 246-6210.
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2019-2020 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.20-801-2073 credits20-801-2123 credits20-801-2133 credits20-801-2143 credits20-801-2223 credits20-803-2143 credits20-803-2403 credits10-809-1723 credits20-809-2523 credits20-809-2833 credits20-809-2863 credits
After completing the Ethnic Studies Certificate at Madison Area Technical College, you will be able to:
- Interact in the workplace with sensitivity to issues arising from political, economical and cultural differences.
- Critically interpret and value cultural traditions, art and issues throughout your life.
- Advocate for social justice in community and service groups.
- Promote respect and equity in society by applying what you have learned while earning this certificate.
Estimated Program Cost
# of Credits for Completion9Tuition$1661.40Materials/Supplemental Costs$160.65Other Costs$0.00Total Estimated Program Costs:
(book costs not included)$1822.05