Ready to Learn More?
If you’d like to learn more about the Dental Assistant program, we’d love to talk with you.
We’re here to answer any questions and guide you through our application process step-by-step.
Send us your contact information, and we’ll help you get started right away!
Madison College's Dental Assistant program trains you to perform chair-side assisting and related office and laboratory procedures under the direction and supervision of a dentist.
The Dental Assistant program includes instruction and practical experience in how to identify, use and care of dental equipment and instruments; expose and process radiographs; record medical and dental information; assist with dental emergencies; perform basic office procedures; and maintain an inventory of supplies.
Dental Assistant is a one-semester, full-time program. Students are accepted for fall, spring and summer semesters.
Classes are offered Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. - 3:20 p.m.
Dental Assistant program classes are offered at our Madison Truax campus.
Earning your Dental Assistant Technical Diploma at Madison Area Technical College prepares you for valuable work as a:
- Chair-side Assistant - working directly with the dentist in the treatment area.
- Laboratory Assistant - performing laboratory functions as directed by the dentist.
- Receptionists/Office Assistant - responsible for operation of the business office.
- Claims Approver - working for an insurance company approving dental insurance claims.
With additional education and/or work experience you may find employment as a:
Top 10 ProgramOur Dental Assistant Program is mentioned as one of the top 10 programs in the nation
- Dental Office Manager - responsible for operation of the practice.
- Dental Laboratory Technician - performing mechanical, technically skilled tasks specified by the written prescription of the dentist.
- Dental Sales Representative - working for a dental supply business, providing products and services to dental offices.
Curriculum and Experience
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2023-2024 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current and newly admitted program students, go directly to your Degree Progress Report to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your degree progress report (advisement report), please see Advising Services.First Semester10-508-1011 credit31-508-3025 credits31-508-3032 credits31-508-3042 credits31-508-3052 credits31-508-3121 credit31-508-3132 credits31-508-3071 creditGet Hands-on Experience!
The hands-on experience you'll get at Madison College goes in-depth, even exploring some expanded functions which make our dental assistants more valuable in the field.
Students need to complete the petition process to get into core-program classes for this program. Before submitting an application, it’s important to review the Petition Process webpage which also includes estimated wait times for each program.
- View the admission requirements for application deadlines, materials, and requirements
- There is currently 0-1 semesters between acceptance into pre-program and the start of core classes. The estimated time to enter the core-program is subject to change based on the variable number of students ready to petition each semester.
- Learn more about the Madison College experience and get help with the admissions process
Once you have been accepted in a pre-program status, your next step is to complete the Petition Requirements. See the Petition information in the next section.
Students are required to meet the current admission and petition requirements. Requirements are subject to change based on updates to accreditation requirements or Madison College program assessment data.
- View the admission requirements for application deadlines, materials, and requirements
After you have been admitted into a pre-program status, complete all of the Petition Requirements for your program. Login to your student account and run a Degree Progress Report to review the Petition Requirements and see which requirements you have completed and which need to be satisfied.
Requirements vary by program, and may include some or all of the following:
- Petition Workshop: This is done online and can be found in Blackboard after you have been admitted in a pre-program status
- Prerequisites (examples: Algebra, Geometry, Chemistry, Biology, English and Reading): This varies by program
- Course Requirements (examples: Anatomy and Physiology, Intro to Psychology, etc.): This varies by program
- Testing Requirement (examples: ACT, HESI, TEAS): This varies by program
You can view the Petition Requirements for this program using the links below.
After completing the petition requirements, students are then selected for entry into core-program courses through the Petition Process.
After completing the Dental Assistant program at Madison Area Technical College, you will be able to:
- Perform a variety of entry-level supportive dental procedures
- Manage infection and hazard control
- Produce diagnostic radiographs
- Perform basic dental laboratory procedures
- Demonstrate professional behaviors, ethics and appearance
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2020 2021 2022 Number of Program Graduates 48 25 44 Number of Surveys Sent 48 25 44 Number of Surveys Returned 32 17 30 Percent of Surveys Returned Available for Employment 29 12 24 Percent Available for Employment 90.60% 70.60% 92.30% Not in Labor Market Percent Not in Labor Market 9.40% 29.40% 23.10% Available for Employment
2020 2021 2022 Graduates Employed 28 12 24 Percent of Graduates Employed 96.60% 100.00% 100.00% Employed in Related Occupation 22 9 22 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 78.60% 75.00% 91.70% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 5 3 2 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 17.90% 25.00% 8.30% Employed - No Response 1 0 0 Percent Employed - No Response 3.60% 0.00% 0.00% Seeking Employment 1 0 0 Percent Seeking Employment 3.40% 0.00% 0.00% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2020 2021 2022 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.4 3.5 3.7 Number of Satisfaction Responses 32 17 26 Very Satisfied (4) 14 9 17 Percent Very Satisfied 43.80% 52.90% 65.40% Satisfied (3) 18 8 9 Percent Satisfied 56.30% 47.10% 34.60% Unsatisfied (2) 0 0 0 Percent Unsatisfied 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Very Unsatisfed (1) 0 0 0 Percent Very Unsatisfied 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2020 2021 2022 Number of Primary Reason Responses 32 17 30 Preparation for Getting a Job 20 11 17 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 62.50% 64.70% 56.70% Career Change 4 2 3 Percent Career Change 12.50% 11.80% 10.00% Improvement of Existing Skills 0 0 0 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Preparation for Further Education 7 4 10 Percent Preparation for Further Education 21.90% 23.50% 33.30% Personal Interest 1 0 0 Percent Personal Interest 3.10% 0.00% 0.00% Other 0 0 0 Percent Other 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% When Employment was Obtained
2020 2021 2022 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 23 12 24 Before Enrollment 2 3 2 Percent Before Enrollment 8.70% 25.00% 8.30% While Attending the College 2 3 8 Percent While Attending the College 8.70% 25.00% 33.30% After Training at the College 19 6 14 Percent After Training at the College 82.60% 50.00% 58.30% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2020 2021 2022 Number of Employment Location Responses 26 12 23 In College District 24 11 23 Percent In College District 92.30% 91.70% 100.00% In Wisconsin, Not in District 0 0 0 Percent of In Wisconsin 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Outside of Wisconsin 1 1 0 Percent Outside Wisconsin 3.80% 8.30% 0.00% Employer Location Unknown 1 0 0 Percent Location Unknown 3.80% 0.00% 0.00% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2020 2021 2022 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 16 8 14 Average Monthly Wage $2,966 $3,003 $3,185 Average Hourly Wage $17.24 $17.46 $18.52 Average Work Hours per Week 38.2 38.6 39.8 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 4 1 7 Average Hourly Wage $15.75 $16.50 $18.41 Average Work Hours per Week 30 32 26
Graduate Employers for academic year: 2022 Employer(s) Job Title City* State** Positions Access Community Health Center Dental Assistant 3 Access Community Health Center Dental Assistant Sun Prairie Affordable dental care Lead Dental Assistant Center for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Surgical Technologist DeForest Dental Services Dental Assistant DeForest Dental Health Associates Dental Assistant 2 Dental Health Associates Dental Assistant Fitchburg First Choice Dental Group Dental Assistant Sun Prairie First Choice Dental Group Dental Assistant Stoughton Four Lakes Family Dental Dental Assistant Madison Oral Surgery & Dental Oral Surgery Assistant Madison Pediatric Dental Pediatric Dental Assistant Monona Midwest Dental Dental Assistant 2 Midwest Dental Dental Assistant Watertown Silver Creek Dentistry Dental Assistant Ripon Stacey Dental Dental Assistant
* - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
*** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org