Visit us on Facebook and YouTube to learn more about our Construction and Remodeling program.
In this section
Construction and Remodeling
One Year Technical Diploma
Construction and Remodeling program students at Madison College come from all walks of life, but they all share an interest in learning the most current construction techniques for completing projects small to large, rough to refined. After completing the Construction and Remodeling program, graduates go on to employment in all areas of the construction industry, from commercial to residential, new construction to remodeling.
As a Construction and Remodeling student, you will
- Learn hands-on how to complete a project from prints and specifications.
- Understand site preparation, layout and foundations.
- Practice framing floors, walls, ceilings and roofs and related carpentry tasks.
- Install shingles, windows, doors, stairs, exterior trim, siding, cabinets and interior trim.
- Gain experience working in all phases of home construction including estimating materials, understanding building codes and maintaining tools and equipment.
- Prepare for a career in residential construction or remodeling.
Construction & Remodeling is on a career pathway that includes this one-year technical diploma, a one-year version and an apprenticeship. All will prepare you for a good job. Learn at your own pace and increase your earning potential with credentials that keep you moving on your career path.
Students in the Construction and Remodeling program can attend full or part time.
Construction and Remodeling Program classes may be offered at these Madison College campuses:
- Madison - Commercial Avenue
- Madison - Truax
Explore financial aid eligibility for Construction and Remodeling.
All courses for this program are offered only in person.
- View the admission requirements for application deadlines, materials and requirements.
- Attend an Academic Information Session to get started in the admission process.
- Visit MATC to learn more about the Madison College experience, including campus tours and program open houses.
Once you are admitted into your program, review the Start of Semester Checklist to prepare for your first day of classes at MATC.
Contact the Enrollment Center at EnrollmentServices@madisoncollege.edu or (608) 246-6210.
Prospective program students, the information below reflects the basic requirements for students admitted for the 2019-2020 academic year. To learn more about Madison College, visit us.
Current program students (including newly admitted), go directly to your Degree Progress Report (also referred to as an Advising Report or Academic Requirements) to view:
- Progress toward your specific requirements
- Alternative (in lieu of) courses to meet specific requirements
If you have questions after reviewing your report, please see Advising Services.31-410-3015 credits31-410-3022 credits31-410-3091 credits31-410-3285 credits31-410-3371 credits31-410-4102 credits31-804-3791 credits31-410-3082 credits31-410-3295 credits31-410-3352 credits31-410-3451 credits31-410-4111 credits31-801-3561 creditsSelect 3 courses from the Course Selectives list below.3 credits31-410-3631 credits31-410-3851 credits31-410-3111 credits31-410-3101 credits31-410-3241 credits
MATC Construction and Remodeling program graduates are prepared to:
- Solve construction problems using accepted principles, tools and skills.
- Apply techniques and principles appropriate to building science.
- Investigate basic construction business operational strategies.
- Model professional and ethical behavior.
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal relationship skills.
- Analyze the environmental impacts of building practices.
- Apply safety practices and procedures in the work area.
Earning your technical diploma in the Construction and Remodeling program at Madison Area Technical College prepares you for valuable work as:
- Rough/Finish Carpenter
- Product Sales Representative
With additional education and/or work experience, graduates may find employment as:
- Master Carpenter
- Head Estimator
Madison College's Wood Technics Department is an active member in the following organizations:
- National Association of Remodeling Industry
- Madison Area Builders Association
- Sustainable Woods Cooperative
- National Association of Home Builders
Estimated Program Cost
# of Credits for Completion32Tuition$4368.00Materials/Supplemental Costs$1345.84Other Costs$0.00Total Estimated Program Costs:
(book costs not included)$5713.84
Graduate Report Summary Overview
2016 2017 2018 Number of Program Graduates 11 21 15 Number of Surveys Sent 11 21 15 Number of Surveys Returned 6 10 7 Percent of Surveys Returned 54.50% 47.60% 46.70% Available for Employment 5 7 6 Percent Available for Employment 83.30% 87.50% 100.00% Not in Labor Market 1 3 1 Percent Not in Labor Market 16.70% 37.50% 16.70% Available for Employment
2016 2017 2018 Graduates Employed 5 7 6 Percent of Graduates Employed 100.00% 100.00% 100.00% Employed in Related Occupation 5 5 5 Percent Employed in Related Occupation 100.00% 71.40% 83.30% Employed in Unrelated Occupation 0 2 1 Percent Employed in Unrelated Occupation 0.00% 28.60% 16.70% Employed - No Response 0 0 0 Percent Employed - No Response 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Seeking Employment 0 0 0 Percent Seeking Employment 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Reaction To Training at Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Student satisfaction Mean (Out of 4) 3.2 3.8 3.7 Number of Satisfaction Responses 6 8 6 Very Satisfied 1 6 4 Percent Very Satisfied 16.70% 75.00% 66.70% Satisfied 5 2 2 Percent Satisfied 83.30% 25.00% 33.30% Unsatisfied 0 0 0 Percent Unsatisfied 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Very Unsatisfied 0 0 0 Percent Very Unsatisfied 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% Primary Reason for Attending Madison College
2016 2017 2018 Number of Primary Reason Responses 6 10 7 Preparation for Getting a Job 2 2 4 Percent Preparation for Getting a Job 33.30% 20.00% 57.10% Career Change 4 3 0 Percent Career Change 66.70% 30.00% 0.00% Improvement of Existing Skills 0 0 1 Percent Improvement of Existing Skills 0.00% 0.00% 14.30% Preparation for Further Education 0 3 1 Percent Preparation for Further Education 0.00% 30.00% 14.30% Personal Interest 0 2 1 Percent Personal Interest 0.00% 20.00% 14.30% Other 0 0 0 Percent Other 0.00% 0.00% 0.00% When Employment was Obtained
2016 2017 2018 Number of When Employment Obtained Responses 5 7 6 Before Enrollment 0 4 0 Percent Before Enrollment 0.00% 57.10% 0.00% While Attending the College 1 1 2 Percent While Attending the College 20.00% 14.30% 33.30% After Training at the College 4 2 4 Percent After Training at the College 80.00% 28.60% 66.70% Location of Employment (related and unrelated)
2016 2017 2018 Number of Employment Location Responses 5 7 6 In College District 3 5 5 Percent In College District 60.00% 71.40% 83.30% In Wisconsin, Not in District 0 2 1 Percent of In Wisconsin 0.00% 28.60% 16.70% Outside of Wisconsin 1 0 0 Percent Outside Wisconsin 20.00% 0.00% 0.00% Employer Location Unknown 1 0 0 Percent Location Unknown 20.00% 0.00% 0.00% Salary Trend Salary Trend 2016 2017 2018 Full Time Employment (Related Job) Full Time Salary Count 4 3 4 Average Monthly Wage $3,026 $3,200 $3,598 Average Hourly Wage $17.59 $18.60 $20.92 Average Work Hours per Week 40.6 42.5 39.5 Part Time Employment (Related Job) Part Time Salary Count 1 1 Average Hourly Wage $30.00 $16.00 Average Work Hours per Week 20 24
Total Positions Open for academic year: 2018 Wisconsin TechConnectTM Jobs* Madison Non-Madison Number of Full Time Positions Open 127 13 Number of Part Time Positions Open 14 0 Total Jobs 141 13 Graduate Employers for academic year: 2018 Employer(s) Job Title City** State*** Positions Architectural Building Arts LLC Associate of Design Chad's Design Build Carpenter's Apprentice Heffron Homes, Inc Carpenter Prairie du Sac J P Cullen Construction Janesville Joe Daniel's Construction Construction Laborer
* - Wisconsin TechConnectTM jobs are posted through a statewide consortium operated and funded by all 16 of the technical colleges in Wisconsin.
** - Only cities outside of Madison will display.
*** - Only states outside of Wisconsin will display.
**** - If you have a position to post, please contact Career and Employment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org